code theword for mac without external quartz

Ideas and suggestions about new features
kdd

code theword for mac without external quartz

Post by kdd »

hi costas,
i appreciate this free bible program for mac users. you certainly walk the walk by freely giving what you have freely received. the other free program is "freely given" to windows and linux users, yet is not free for the mac. go figure.

the vector program inkscape for mac also uses quartz externally to interface with x-11. however, it was brought to my attention not very long ago that a lone developer has developed a version of the program that incorporates quartz in the program. i tried his version and the program opens quicker than the current stable version with external quartz and seems to be very stable. i use it exclusively now on my sierra distro machines.

i offer to you the link to the developer's github site in hopes that you and the developer can connect to help you code theword without the the need for the external quartz application. since you are a software developer, the source code is also available for you to download for your study of how quartz is integrated into inkscape; so you may not need to contact the developer.

https://github.com/valerioa/Inkscape-Ma ... d/releases

one last comment. i was looking for a particular book/chapter/verse. when i searched for "love thy neighbor", i received the message that no results were found. when i searched for the full quote from the verse i received the book/chapter/verse. "love thy neighbor" is in cruden's concordance and offers results for several books/chapters/verses using those terms. however, when i searched for "love one another" i received numerous results from both testaments. my observation is that your search engine needs some optimization.

you are a blessing to the christian community and to the world. keep up the good work. and many thanks for all your efforts in bringing the christian scriptures to light.

best,
kdd
csterg
Site Admin

Re: code theword for mac without external quartz

Post by csterg »

Hello kdd, welcome and thanks for posting this information.
Your idea about MAC is a nice one to be honest. Yet, for such a 'port' (which is not a real port) a lot of time need to be invested and someone will need to support this version. Unfortunately i don't have the time to do this. I would be open if someone else could do it, yet from what you see in the forum even latest versions of MAC OS are not well supported, in the sense that there have been no clear instructions on how to make theWord work with every single MAC OS version out there.

Concerning the search engine: have you clicked on the 'Detailed' tab? There are many options there that you can use to refine your option. Remember you are usually searching a specific version of a Bible, which may have used slightly different terms to translate a phrase.
Costas
JG

Re: code theword for mac without external quartz

Post by JG »

kdd wrote: one last comment. i was looking for a particular book/chapter/verse. when i searched for "love thy neighbor", i received the message that no results were found. when i searched for the full quote from the verse i received the book/chapter/verse. "love thy neighbor" is in cruden's concordance and offers results for several books/chapters/verses using those terms. however, when i searched for "love one another" i received numerous results from both testaments. my observation is that your search engine needs some optimization.

kdd
The issue will most probably be with the words being searched. In this case probably the difference in American and English spelling of the word neighbor/neighbour
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet