Handling certain Greek accents (normalizing them?)

Ideas and suggestions about new features
jonathangkoehn

Handling certain Greek accents (normalizing them?)

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Perhaps this has been talked about before.

The accents ὸ or ό | ὄ or ὂ | ὅ or ὃ
are essentially the same in regard to a words meaning. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) They do have possible pronunciation differences in Koine Greek/Ancient Greek (I don't know much in this regard.) This is on the last accent if I'm correct.

If possible when it is Greek Unicode then
then if theWORD could make the clicked word/pop-up/topics all into the same accent.
ὰ ά = ά
ἄ ἂ = ἄ
ἅ ἅ = ἅ
ὸ ό = ό
ὄ ὂ = ἄ
ὅ ὃ = ὅ
same for ι η ε υ ῃ ᾳ
I'm not sure if there are any other cases.
This is to deal with manuscripts that use μή and μὴ which mean the same but are not found if they don't exist in a dictionaries topic list. A work around is μη but it is not as precise.

I could see this could take a bit to process on each word. Especially since there would be two words to normalize.
Perhaps when a unicode greek is encountered, it checks against the un-normalized list and then normalizes the clicked word. It could perhaps be an option to turn on/off in word click/pop-up.

Another work around option would be for a dictionary to have two entries καὶ and καί on bringing it into theWORD if need be. This would not add another topic content but a secondary pointing topic which points to the original (not sure what these are named see AMGL for an example the strongs are flagged). It would need to see if there are two of the same word with different accents and join them if need be and then generate a variant. I believe it is also only on the last syllable where this happens. Anyone could program this. It could be outside theWORD and applied by the end user to a Greek dictionary module.

Could someone explain how this works a bit more in the Greek so possibly it could be programmed as a tool?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RubioTerra

Re: Handling certain Greek accents (normalizing them?)

Post by RubioTerra »

jonathangkoehn wrote:Could someone explain how this works a bit more in the Greek so possibly it could be programmed as a tool?
Here's a tutorial. The rules are quite complex... But if theWord normalized the grave accents to acutes before doing word searches, the problem would be solved for good, and dictionaries would have to include only the normalized entries. I believed this is the way to go.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Re: Handling certain Greek accents (normalizing them?)

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Costas took some time and explained in an email how theWord does it. Would it be ok to share that here Costas?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2