Two Possible Issues with .1303

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
Doctordavet

Two Possible Issues with .1303

Post by Doctordavet »

Using Build .1303

1) the "delete module" feature doesn't seem to be working (see attached pic)
2) the file associations don't seem to be saving from build to build
Attachments
triedtodeleteamodule.JPG
triedtodeleteamodule.JPG (33.02 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
JG

Re: Two Possible Issues with .1303

Post by JG »

Doctordavet wrote:Using Build .1303

1) the "delete module" feature doesn't seem to be working (see attached pic)
2) the file associations don't seem to be saving from build to build

Hi Dave,
#1 working ok for me. You might want to check with Task Manager to see if there are two theWord processes running when this happens. It appears that recently the process is not being shut down on occasion.

#2 The reason that the association seems to be lost is because the beta has a different name each time.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Hi, Jon,

I have no idea how/that two instances of TW was running, but by George, that was the problem. Thanks!
Dave
Free Modules at
JG

Post by JG »

Doctordavet wrote:Hi, Jon,

I have no idea how/that two instances of TW was running, but by George, that was the problem. Thanks!
Dave,
I would speculate that 1303 could have been running and minimized and you perhaps double clicked on an associated theWord file to install it, so a second instance of an theWord opens that has file association......
So Dave, did you notice if theWord processes had different names? As this "Process not closing" is a recent issue mentioned by Costas, it is surely related to a recent feature as mentioned above, but is actually user error in part, perhaps.

So if all can be aware of this issue and check Task Manager, when you have exited theWord to see if the process remains, it might prove that it is a real problem.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Jon,

I just tested the process on 1303 and it ended. Win 7 64 bit.

Roy
JG

Post by JG »

royhieatt wrote:Hi Jon,

I just tested the process on 1303 and it ended. Win 7 64 bit.

Roy
Thanks Roy, I am sure this issue will happen for someone (including me) when we least expect it :)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Well, I have noticed that occasionally (but not always) when TW is minimized, the button on my task bar doesn't illuminate as the other buttons do when those programs are open but minimized.

Like right now, though, I started TW and minimized it - and the button is lit up like it's supposed to be. I'm quite sure it wasn't yesterday when that double instance hit.
Dave
Free Modules at
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I have also notice that theWord will not shutdown some times, but i have been unable to find out why. If anyone could repeat that, I would be grateful,
Costas
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

@Costas

that one insight solves at least a dozen nagging little questions about why modules I've loaded into my sets have disappeared from my sets the next time I start TW.

Thanks - but I have no idea either why that occasionally happens.
Dave
Free Modules at
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Doctordavet wrote:@Costas

that one insight solves at least a dozen nagging little questions about why modules I've loaded into my sets have disappeared from my sets the next time I start TW.

Thanks - but I have no idea either why that occasionally happens.
The module sets are saved the moment you close the dialog so this might be a different issue
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Or the issue of missing that we have two instances of theWord running and then they could be closed in the wrong order overwriting the config.ini so your changed set is overwritten by the old.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Jon - I think that is exactly what has happened to me a dozen times or so over the last 8 months. I add modules nearly every day, so adding to my sets is just about a daily maneuver. If TW hadn't closed the last time I closed it, and the button wasn't lit up, then when I started TW the next time I went into it, made changes, and closed it, the open copy was overwriting the config.ini file when I would later do a computer restart.

That actually solves lots of nagging issues for me if that is what is happening.

Now, if we can figure out what combinations are causing TW not to close....
Dave
Free Modules at
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Doctordavet wrote:
Now, if we can figure out what combinations are causing TW not to close....
YES please.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

One issue I have that sometimes causes multiple versions of TW to start - I click on TW in the task bar (win7 64-bit professional) and it appears to never start no matter how long I wait. So I click it a second time and it starts normally. But I end up with 2 copies of TW running. I make module changes in the one I see running, close it, then I see the 2nd version running normally. I close it. When I restart TW the module changes I had made were not saved and I have to re-apply them. Don't know if this helps, but ...

Darrel
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

This probably isn't related, but the only program I have that seems to cause problems with theWord somehow is Libre Office. Sometimes when I shut down Libre Office I can't open theWord even though it shows it's already running in the task bar (I can't open Libre Office again either).

I found that when that happens Libre Office leaves something called soffice.bin running that I have to kill to get back into theWord. It is a problem on my computer with Libre Office, and also OpenOffice when I tried it. I have searched in vain for a solution on their forums. The only thing I found that mitigates the problem is leaving the Office Quickstarter open.

It's a shot in the dark, and I suspect it's unrelated, especially as I haven't experienced the problem with two instances of theWord being open, but if it could be determined that everyone who has the same problem has another program installed like LibreOffice it might help? Also this isn't specific to the latest beta versions of theWord, but all including the release version, so I apologize if I'm way off base here.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.