Suggest including ESV as part of "main English package"

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
l_d_allan

Suggest including ESV as part of "main English package"

Post by l_d_allan »

IMO, the ESV is an excellent English Bible translation, and would be a worthwile module to include in the free "main English package", along with the KJV and NET.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Suggest including ESV as part of "main English package"

Post by csterg »

Hi Lynn,
i am in agreement with that, yet i only choose to not do so in order to 'minimize' the download size.
Costas
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

I'm Very Glad to see that the "Main English Package" now includes several very-good to excellent modern English Bibles. I don't know when that happened, and perhaps it was months or even years ago.

FWIW:
Over the years, I've been impressed by the ESV, especially the publisher being one of the very first to license their Bible for free download. That's impressive.

It was an even more pleasant surprise to see that the Package also included the HCSB, NET, and others. Is that the "simplified NET", or the full NET with notes?

I'll have to check if you were able to get a license for the NIrV, one of my favorite easy-to-read Bible versions oriented to children and youths. My observation is that the HCSB is also very good in this respect. This former 5th grade Sunday school teacher is very appreciative of versions for youth.

BTW: back in the early 2000's when TW 0.9 was being developed, it seemed like it would be a loooooong time before a 50MB download would be NBD ... no big deal. 2002? 2003? Gosh, the hours and hours spent trying to squeeze a "usable bundle" to under 10MB.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

These days size seems irrelevant, doesn't it? :)
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

csterg wrote:These days size seems irrelevant, doesn't it? :)
IIRC, BB with an open source Bible like the KJV fit on a 1.44 MB floppy. It wasn't unreasonable to download it on a 9600 baud POTS modem, like what a missionary might have "back in the bad old days". The 1.x version of the .exe used MFC, and was about 80kb (dynamically linked).
glennmcgrath

Post by glennmcgrath »

I emailed crossway about the possibility of esv/strongs being made available to theWord and they just sent back a very generic reply, basically saying that I needed to contact you if I wanted to see all the electronic versions of the esv in the Word. So all that to say I don't know if they would make esv strongs available to the Word or not or if it was just a collaberative effort with Accordance, I know Logos has the reverse interlinear esv but I have not seen that anywhere else either. I'd love to know if either of these is a possibility for the Word. Thank you and Blessings
ahsan
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you for this effort. It is true that every new title (or version) comes after an official agreement (contract) between publisher and theWord. I will keep this in our future plans for expansion.
Costas