Import of E-Sword module and Commentary error

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
vertigo

Import of E-Sword module and Commentary error

Post by vertigo »

I have a personal copy of the NIV bible converted from an E-Sword module. Along with the .bbl file is the .cmt, which are footnotes for the text. When I use the import tool on these two files, the .bbl seems to convert fine, but I get a couple of errors on the commentary. Specifically, an intermediary file cannot be deleted, and a range check error. Can anyone provide some insight on this; if this is possibly the likelihood of some type of corruption in the file itself. I appreciate any input.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

A similar error in the Poole commentary occured due to duplicate keys in the commentary tables.
I am not sure if you know what this is or how you can fix it.
Costas
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with the software yet, and how to modify the modules. I did some searching on this forum and didn't find anything specifically on how to resolve this problem. I'm sure it's something relatively easy, but my ignorance is the biggest obstacle at the moment. On a side note, the Henry, JFB, and Poole commentaries that you posted do not work in my Word installation either, so maybe my laptop is turning against me...

I want to take a moment and thank you for the work you have done creating this excellent software, and the good work you have done in this ministry. I came across The Word when I was looking for 'portable' bible software. I have been converted from E-Sword. Plus, the Word is my favorite name for Jesus; I love John 1 :).

I don't have many skills or know of your needs, but if you need any help, please let me know. I'll pray for you and God bless.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello vertigo,
the problem i refer is with the original notes file. Do you have MS Access or another tool to edit the original file?

It's very strange the issue you brought up about other commentaries not working. What version of the program do you use? (check on the menu Help->About)
Costas
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

I am using the current version, 3.0.0.620. In the program, the commentaries show up as selectable under Bible options. They also appear in-line when I am viewing Bible text. But when I click on the link, Study View does not change to the commentary. Also, when I click the name of the commentary under Study View, nothing happens.

I am pretty familiar with Access. If you could generally direct me on what to do to fix my original commentary problem, I'm sure I can figure out the rest. Thanks for your time.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

vertigo wrote:I am using the current version, 3.0.0.620. In the program, the commentaries show up as selectable under Bible options. They also appear in-line when I am viewing Bible text. But when I click on the link, Study View does not change to the commentary. Also, when I click the name of the commentary under Study View, nothing happens.
Hello vertigo,
Let me try to solve these:
1. On the study view, there is a red stapler icon. You need to click on it to make the study view be synchronized with the active Bible view. Click also on the small black arrow at the left of the icon to customize the 'link' behavior.
2. After clicking the commentary on the Study view, try choosing an entry from the combo box on the toolbar of the study view. Also, click on icon with the books+magnifying glass to get a list/tree with the contents of the commentary. Click on an entry to display it.

Does this solve the problem?
I am pretty familiar with Access. If you could generally direct me on what to do to fix my original commentary problem, I'm sure I can figure out the rest. Thanks for your time.
OK. The problem i suspect is duplicate entries. Here is how you can decide if this is indeed the problem:

1. Open the file in Ms Access
2. Click on menu Insert->Query. Click OK on the dialog. Then click on menu View->Sql
3. On the editor that is opened, insert the following query:

Code: Select all

select id, count(*) from Commentary group by id having count(*) > 1
Click on menu Query->Run to execute it.

4. If you have any results, then this means that there are more than one entries in the Commentary table with the same ID. This is incorrect, it should not happen. Rerun the above procedure for the tables Book Notes and Chapter Notes:

select id, count(*) from [Book Notes] group by id having count(*) > 1
and

select id, count(*) from [Book Notes] group by id having count(*) > 1
Check if either of these 3 tables have duplicates entries. If yes, this is what you need to fix:
If there are duplicate entries, then in the results you will see (in the first column) the IDs that are duplicate. Open the tables by themselves and locate the records with these IDs (there will be more than one with the same ID). If you notice that any of the entries with the duplicate IDs are empty (e.g. no text in comments) just delete the entries. If there is content there then manually assign them another ID. Find the largest value being used (scroll to the end of the file), and then increase it by one, thus creating new IDs.

Does the above make sense?

Costas
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

csterg,

Thanks for the help. Originally some commentaries worked, some didn't. After I deleted the ones that didn't work, I reinstalled them. The stapler icon was already "enabled." Once the files were dropped and re-added in the organize menu for the Study View did they start working. So now it all seems good.

The only other problem I have is: I try to open TWM files in Access and get an error. I downloaded sqlitestudio and am able to access your files, though. I can access the file I want to convert to The Word (which is in E-Sword CMT format) in Access, and am thinking of just copying the data over to a TWM commentary template. Is there a special trick to access TWM files in Access?

(sorry to use the word 'access' so much in the previous paragraph...)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

OK, so the problem was that the old files still showed up; the reason is that you have created a custom layout ...

The TWM files cannot be opened in Access, only in sqlite management tools.

The instructions i send you applied to the .cmt files that you open with access. You should follow these and then just use the importer to convert.
The importer automates what you are trying to do, it's not an easy job to do it manually although it is doable.

Try to follow the instructions and tell me what results you get.
Costas
vertigo

Post by vertigo »

I did what you said to do, and I'm showing no duplicates in any table. I'll keep messing around with the files and let you know if I find anything. Maybe it can help someone down the road.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Please, email me one of the modules that you have problem converting to [email protected] so i can check it myself.
Costas