Wanted: Bible modules in Somali, Turkish, Swahili

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
amrodgers

Wanted: Bible modules in Somali, Turkish, Swahili

Post by amrodgers »

I'm making a collection of digital bibles and of the 38 most commonly spoken languages in my city (Ottawa, Canada) , I lack only 2: Somali and Turkish. I actually have found a source for digital copies of these, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried to get permission to distribute from the rights holders. I'm also interested in Kiswahili.

For background (to the best of my understanding):

The "1920" Somali translation being offered for some software as public domain is not. It's actually the 1979 Modricker translation. SIM holds rights to it and the 2008 translation and seems very generous with it. Has anyone asked for "Quduuska Kitaabka Ah" for theWord? I'd be happy to set up a module.

BFBS has given permission for the Turkish Kutsal Kitap translation to be used with e-sword without an unlock fee. I've actually used this translation to practise making modules so I have one ready to share, should permission be granted. Has anyone asked them on behalf of theWord users?

There is a Kiswahili NT floating around, missing Philippians. I've tried to complete it, but no success thus far (Does anyone know how to extract the text from a goBible executable?). A better route might be to use the 2003 Union Version for which I have the UFSM data, but only under the restriction that it be used UBS' ParaText software. Again, has anyone initiated inquiries for a complete Bible in Kiswahili?

Sorry for the long post, and sorry for dumping a load of questions on poor Costas who will undoubtedly feel that the duty to answer these questions falls on him! I'm happy to help in any way I can.

in Him,

Andrew Rodgers