Updated King James Version (UKJV) Bible Module

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
WordForever

Updated King James Version (UKJV) Bible Module

Post by WordForever »

Hi Everyone,
I think there is a real hole in English bible translations truly based on the Textus Receptus (TR) manuscript / KJV Authorized Version that are written in more understandable contemporary English vocabulary rather than old-English. To my delight I recently found the Updated King James Version (UKJV) that is the best outstanding representative for filling the contemporary English TR/KJV translation void that I know of. What's more, the UKJV is Public Domain and allows for layout modifications and correction of typographical errors. The UKJV project started with the KJV Authorized Version and used a custom computer program to automatically Find & Replace old-English vocabulary with contemporary English equivalents. It was originally released on 12/25/2000 and the latest official update after lots of reader feedback was 5/28/2009 (see http://www.oocities.org/updatedkjv/ for more information). Calvary Chapel made a theWord UKJV.ont bible file back around 3/15/2005, but it is now down-level as evidenced by searching on the word "yours" in that older version -- and then doing the same in the latest 5/28/2009 version (reference URL above). The only 5/28/2009 UKJV version I could find formatted for bible software was an eSword 9 UKJV.bbl file, but the twimport.exe Importer Tool does not convert it due to the SQLite format 3 password protection. Therefore I built the latest UKJV.ont version from the source ASCII text and then built it from scratch a second time to double-check myself. Interestingly there are now print/bound UKJV OT+NT & NT bibles available for sale on Amazon.com (published in 2011 and not to be confused with the Universal King James Version) which may further increase UKJV adoption. Costas is amicable to posting the Public Domain UKJV on the "Download add-on modules - Bibles tab" web page, but he requested that I post the file here for everyone to review first. The only edits I made to the 5/28/2009 official version was correcting 3 very minor typographical errors (as allowed under the copyright notice):
** 1 Chr 29:11 was changed from...
"yours, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is yours; your is the kingdom, O LORD,
and you are exalted as head above all." --to--
"Yours, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is yours; yours is the kingdom, O LORD,
and you are exalted as head above all."
** John 16:23 was changed from...
"And in that day all of you shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever all of you shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you." --to--
"And in that day all of you shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever all of you shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it to you."

Although I'm sure there are many other minor typos like these, this Public Domain project is to a point where I believe it has a solid practical place as a useful accurate translation for many. Please check out the UKJV.ont bible file that I attached here by following these instructions:
(1) Uncompress UKJV.zip into UKJV.ont
(2) Place UKJV.ont in your "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Word\Bibles" directory (default for Windows XP Pro SP3) or "C:\ProgramData\The Word\Bibles" directory (default for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1)
(3) If theWord is running, close and restart the application
(4) Select the UKJV bible tab
(5) Click Tools menu – Click Bible view options… – Select “Paragraphs and headings” category – Select Paragraphs (line breaks): If the module does not have paragraphs, then use “Alternate paragraphs”: - Select Alternate paragraphs: [KJV] – Press OK button.
(6) Read the UKJV some and post your thoughts/feedback (and any other typos you find) in this thread.
(7) I will try to either communicate back to the official UKJV owner or just diligently make the minor typographical corrections myself periodically.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Jeff

"I love Jesus (UKJV)"
Attachments
UKJV.zip
UKJV.ont Bible Module in .zip Format
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
TheLordAwaked

Re: Updated King James Version (UKJV) Bible Module

Post by TheLordAwaked »

You can't update God's words lol

Proverbs 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Psalms 119:89 LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

It seems we are attempting to push the "doctrinal" thing again. What Jeff is doing is not "doctrinal". He is not adding to nor taking away from God's Word. He is fixing typographical errors introduced by folks who translated the Bible from original manuscripts. Again - we need to bury hatchets and just get on with producing a superb electronic Bible.

Just my opinion!

Darrel
William

Post by William »

There is a new release of UKJV for theWord in the pipeline and will be available in the near future.

I would like to present one thought for anybody that cares; but with that let me preface this thought by saying that I am not here stating that 'this version' or 'that version' is better than another version.

That being said, I submit for your consideration, that with the removal of the word "ye" from the English language we no longer have a second-person, plural, personal pronoun to distinguish from the singular "you".

[ With the possible exception of Y'all (pronounced as one syllable = yawl)
which is a contraction of the words "you" + "all" and "ye" + "all"
{both combinations are found in KJV - but not the contraction},
and is subject to debate as to the validity of it's usage
]

Just food for thought.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The UKJV is now officially published. Thank you everyone for the work of putting it together!
Costas
WordForever

Post by WordForever »

DarrelW,
Thank you.

William,
To expand upon your point, the UKJV correctly translates "ye" to "all of you" -- and is the only version that I know of that does so. The NKJV, AKJV, KJV2000, KJ Clarified, NET, and others effectively translate "ye" to "you". On a different note, it's been a pleasure working with you.

Costas, William, Jon, and any others who worked in the background on this,
Thank you deeply for all your support and efforts to help get the UKJV published for theWord!! You guys are great!

Peace.
Jeff
moonbody

Post by moonbody »

Is there a link to download this update ? On 4 shared I see the same thing listed, but is it the same ? Thanks
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

moonbody wrote:Is there a link to download this update ? On 4 shared I see the same thing listed, but is it the same ? Thanks
I haven't downloaded it yet but since Costas has mention the official release I believe this should be the link http://www.theword.net/files/downloads/ukjv.ont.exe

God bless!
Manuel.
Awaiting the return of the Lord (The Glorious rapture of the Church)...

http://jesus-christ-is-coming.blogspot.com/
http://www.cristo-viene.cl
WordForever

Post by WordForever »

Moonbody,
The UKJV file on 4shared is down-level and not the same as here.

Manuel,
You are correct about the official UKJV link you posted being the right one.

The UKJV bible can also be reached from theword.net website - Downloads menu - Clicking Module Library - Bibles tab - Scrolling down to Updated King James Version (UKJV).

Best regards.
William

Post by William »

for ref:

The most recent is version 1.4
Date of 9/11/2011 in the Info/About
TheLordAwaked

Post by TheLordAwaked »

~Thanks i do appreciate having access to all the counterfeit bible versions, because what with there being about 200 false bible versions now, and obiviously i'm not going to go out and buy them all, but having them as modules is great for exposing these different catholic versions, and showing how they all completely contradict one another. i hadn't even heard of the UKJV version.
William

Post by William »

Yeah,
If you're not reading the original Hebrew & Greek, you're reading something else. :roll:
Last edited by William on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WordForever

Post by WordForever »

TheLordAwaked,
It is a bit presumptuous to imply the UKJV is counterfeit when you haven't even heard of it. Compare it to the KJ Authorized Version and let us know if you find any differences in meaning of significance. Best regards.
Last edited by WordForever on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me kindly remind everyone that the forum is NOT for doctrinal discussions pls. Keep them in private if you want.
Reread the forum rules once in a while, we all forget them and get carried away :)
Costas
WantToHelp

Post by WantToHelp »

Hello, everyone.

Does anyone know where one can get a clean text file of the UKJV? I'm actually not looking for a module for theWord, but rather one that would include references so I could tweak it for another Bible software program.

Thanks!
"WantToHelp"