New Modules: from www.bible.org

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
davidcoxmex

New Modules: from www.bible.org

Post by davidcoxmex »

Hi guys,

I have gotten copyright permission to format the files on bible.org for TheWord. I am working on that. There are probably 10,000 files there, so it will take me a long time to convert this website into TheWord format.

As far as I know, I am one of the few people who have gotten permission from Bible.org to make these files into modules. By the way, don't download these and repost them because that is specifically against the copyright laws. All of them are still under copyright, and without you personally getting permission from them, you will be breaking the copyright laws.

These books are series of studies, which are mostly by living authors, men who have studied or graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary or are in that orbit. Many of the ones i have seen (most all of them) are very serious studies which are done by pastors or university professors. They are great additions to anybody's personal library.

If you want to follow this thread of download modules, follow the link below.

http://www.twmodules.com/tag/bible-org/

For a shorter listing (not so much of the post is showing), go here instead.

http://www.twmodules.com/module-lists/www-bible-org/

Download them all and remember the date. They are in date order, latest first.
Last edited by davidcoxmex on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox
davidcox (at sign) davidcox.com.mx
csterg
Site Admin

Re: New Modules: from www.bible.org

Post by csterg »

Hi David,
this is great to hear! Excellent job, looking forward to excellent material,
Costas
pfpeller

Post by pfpeller »

Thanks for your work on this David. These are excellent materials. Keathleys commentary on Revelation is one of the most thorough commentaries I have read.
davidcoxmex

Post by davidcoxmex »

Hi everybody,

In general I have liked most everything I have seen on Bible.org. The few things that I didn't like, well... actually it is my fault probably. I am wanting material to study with for theWord program, and videos and audio tapes of really good studies just frustrate me. Probably my own laziness for not taking the time to listen to it, but that is my main thing I found that I didn't like. Some of the material is very technical (Greek and Hebrew) and although I do know both, it is hard to wade through some of that stuff. Great to have around though if you are hunting for something on a special topic and can find a Greek or Hebrew study on it.
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox
bogoizbrania

Post by bogoizbrania »

On this blog you publish valuable books, I'm a fan of the older studies not being printed today. You do everything you own? Do you need help, especially for older releases that are no longer being printed?
davidcoxmex

Post by davidcoxmex »

Yes unfortunately I am doing all the making of these modules myself, but I do get some modules form other people's sites. I do this because the books I post have to be out of copyright, or I have to have the copyright owner's permission. In the first case, the book is fair game. In the second case, few people are getting permissions (except me) so I leave those alone. When I see 50% to 80% of these people's sites are modules which I made 5 years ago, I figure turnabout is fair play. :)

I write books myself, and most books are "researched" that is that the author looks in other older books, gets about 3 times the amount necessary for his books, and boils it down putting from 30% his own thoughts to 0% his own thoughts. As such, these older books are invaluable for tracing down stuff.

I really see very little "new material" out there today.

If you would like to make modules, that would be a tremendous help. If you can put together a theWord module, that would be fantastic. Let me know if you are interested, and I will send you some starting points.
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

If you would like to make modules, that would be a tremendous help. If you can put together a theWord module, that would be fantastic. Let me know if you are interested, and I will send you some starting points.
David, I would certainly like to do what I could to "give back" to the community of servants (such as yourself) who have contributed so much to my theWord experience. One modest effort so far -- I've "ported" over the ICCNT commentary module that was done for eSword to theWord using the importer tool. All the hard work was already done. I've played around with the commentary template, and understand how to use it to build a new commentary module with it. One good, classic work, that hasn't been done yet (not even for eSword, that I can see) is Godet's 2 volume commentary on 1 Corinthians. I have the PDF's from www.archive.org (along with about 30 GB of other bible study resources, mostly from www.archive.org). Any tips you might want to pass on as to how to efficiently proceed would be appreciated.

The big problem I've run into is that it isn't a simply "cut & paste" job if there is Greek text, as the Greek text in a PDF "searchable image" is converted to the same font used for English text during a "cut & paste." So it seems to me that all Greek text has to be manually typed from the keyboard. Is there another way? (I have no prior experience with eSword -- I've come to "the dance" directly to theWord, but in quickly learning how to convert eSword modules, I've seen reference to the ToolTip software for eSword, and wonder if it would be more feasible to create the commentary initially for eSword, and then convert to theWord).

Any tips and insights you have to pass along will be appreciated.
delaing

Post by delaing »

Did this die off the vine?

I tried the links above to David's web page and there is no listing of the modules.
Does anyone know where these can be found.
Thank you,
Delain
davidcoxmex

Post by davidcoxmex »

Hi Delain and all,

Unfortunately, Bible.org rescinded their permission for me to use their works. They asked me to remove all of their modules from my website (July 2013) and I have done so. There were about 300 some modules best as I remember. I have noticed that they have started posting TW and e-Sword modules on their website, so I suppose they wanted to go in house. I think I remember seeing about 10 modules back in August 2013. That is the way things go. Take advantage of what is available while it is available.
In Christ,
Pastor David Cox