New World Translation Module

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Isaiah 4310

New World Translation Module

Post by Isaiah 4310 »

Hi I am a Jehovah's Witness and I love theWord software. Im using it to make comparative analysis of Youngs Literal translation and Smiths Literal translation with the New World translation. Im finding it very rewarding. I would find it very helpful if there was a module for the New World translation. Could someone direct me to a New World translation module. Or is there a way I can create a module for myself?

Agape!
csterg
Site Admin

Re: New World Translation Module

Post by csterg »

Hello Isaiah and welcome,
I am afraid this translation is not available and I think this is a copyrighted module
Costas
Isaiah 4310

Post by Isaiah 4310 »

Thank you Costas

[Jon] Further posts that would lead to breaking Forum rule 12 have been removed
charlielima3

Post by charlielima3 »

Greetings,
Can a copy of Young's Literal be purchased for the WORD?
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes. There are at least two versions, of 1862 and of 1898. One is more literal than the other.

The module that I stuck with is entitled "ylt.ont", so if you search for "ylt.ont" "theword" and "Bible" as your key words, and I think several options will pop up regarding where to download it. I cannot remember where I got mine, and my slow Internet service will not let me e-mail it to you from where I live.

As for the New World Translation, indeed, it is not officially available, but someone has made a nicely-formatted module out of the 1984 revision, perhaps with written permission from The Watchtower Society for his own personal use. I have seen the module myself, but you will have to contact the Society for permission to proceed.

""And if Christ is not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses..." (1Co 15.14-15)

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given...and his name shall be called...'the everlasting Father'..." (Is. 9:6)
Last edited by ErikJon on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

http://www.theword.net/bin/get.php/ylt.ont.exe
This is the official YLT from theWord site.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
charlielima3

Post by charlielima3 »

Thanks,
CL3
doug

Post by doug »

Isaiah 4310 wrote:Hi I am a Jehovah's Witness and I love theWord software. Im using it to make comparative analysis of Youngs Literal translation and Smiths Literal translation with the New World translation. Im finding it very rewarding. I would find it very helpful if there was a module for the New World translation. Could someone direct me to a New World translation module. Or is there a way I can create a module for myself?

Agape!
thank you I also needed the new world translation,
doug.
JG

Post by JG »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry we don't have the NWT available for theWord. You can use the online version http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/binav/r1/lp-e
or there are ones for use with tablets https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
marcelo.betel

Post by marcelo.betel »

Hi there!

So, please, how could we build a good New World Translation Bible module?
In fact, I really want to build an Inter-linear version because almost all Jehova's Witnesses don't know that version, too.
Could any give me a little help here, please?

The "originals" are very, very important when talking about The Truth.
And I am pretty sure you know that...

I hope some of you that have the skills to build a good module, maybe take some time to do that.
It's a VERY IMPORTANT tool. Believe me.
And will HELP many, many people...
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

marcelo, the problem isn't making the module but that translation is copyrighted.

Personally, I haven't read the terms of their copyright, it might be allowed in their copyright.
Most copyrights generally have the term "all rights reserved" and if that is the case, contacting the copyright holder for permission is the only option.

I have a pdf copy of the translation but there aren't listed any stipulations for their copyright in the document.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if you contacted Watchtower Society, they would give you permission to make a module for public distribution. Developing such a module would only promote their cause.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

^ Think so? I haven't thought about that particular angle of reason.

I could make a module of it fairly quickly if text is one line per verse.
It would take me a lot longer working on it if verses are scattered all around.
Then if they required foot and study notes, forget about it.
I am not a very good module maker though I can manage to make my own from time to time.

And no, I definitely don't agree with the New World Translation by a long-shot.

I prefer literal translations....
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I just downloaded the rtf files of the NWT and they don't start the verses at the beginning of the line.
The pdf is the same in that regard.

It would be possible to make a module of the material but I noticed at least in one particular verse the translation uses numbers instead of writing out a number with words.
That would make a lot more work if they used numbers throughout the whole bible.

I am not sure about the wisdom of creating a module with this translation, perhaps if it were available some would actually check out true to original language translations and so forth, maybe even buying some premium modules, who knows?

Anyway, I might consider making the module, provided permission is made and a text with each verse on its own line but as it stands now, no permission and way too much work than I would be willing to invest.

Finally, there would need to be discussion firstly considering whether the translation module should be in the first place.
Of course also, if it were an official TheWord module, someone more qualified than myself would need to create it.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Of course, the NWT has many "omitted verses," so you will end up with fewer than in a more standard translation, just as the Living Bible paraphrase intentionally omits verses, or combines verses into separate ideas, producing gaps in the calculation. Those omitted verses must be set to appear in blank, in the module. I made a TLB in my own, and got it to work just right, but without the footnotes, which may be a separate issue in this case, if there are any in the NWT. Incidentally, the official rationale for those omitted verses in the NWT is that certain original manuscripts used to translate those parts did not contain those verses. Whether those same manuscripts were the consistent basis for the rest of the translation, I would be curious to know.

{Incidentally, it would be helpful to be respectful throughout this post.}

But all this may be a moot point. If you can get official permission to make the module and to distribute it for use within the program only, and make their response public for all to see, I will send the text to you, already formatted, at least, the version that I have. In your request letter you may want to ask for permission, not only for the newest version, but the previous also. I don't know which text it is that I have access to. Otherwise, you can ask for permission only for the older translation, for example, and then ask how to discern one from the other, using key verses, so that we can determine which text I have.

Of course you could remind them that it would satisfy a growing need among their members, as many complain online that Watchtower programs do not offer the versatility that Theword and eSword offer, and that releasing permission at least for the older translation of 1984 would help promote their cause, of promoting the truth.

I had been thinking the same thing as you, that making such a module available would encourage the download and use of orthodox materials, as well. Sometimes one's healthy curiosity moves one to read opposing views, just to know what the rationale behind them is. I read the NKJV, for example, but sometimes switch to the ESV for another angle, just for two or three verses, and find myself reading the rest of the chapter before realizing that I never went back to my NKJV after that brief detour.

If the number of TW resources were equal on both sides, it could theoretically backfire among orthodox users, but I don't think that there is any risk of that, in this case. JWs will want to click on key words to see the equivalent in the original languages, from a neutral lexicon, for example, and it would only help them to get a clearer opinion on each subject. In fact, they could read the Bible with parallel translations open simultaneously, to compare as they go, which is a good practice anyway.

However, creating your own inteelinear would not only consume lots of time, and result in something redundant, which is already possible by merely opening a parallel window alongside the NWT text, but would have no credibility from a JW user, especially since the Watchtower Society has its own official interlinear, which would never be shared free of charge, whereas most of the neutral TW lexicons are available freely, as are the dictionaries and commentaries.