Conversion from Holy Bible (Sword) modules

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Rodrigo Samy

Conversion from Holy Bible (Sword) modules

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Dear brethren,
there is any way to convert Holy Bible modules, such as the ones we find at http://ibt.org.ru/en/pc.htm? They seem to be identical (as modules) with the CrossWire Sword modules, which we find at http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModD ... dType=Book. But the Russian site has many very interesting modules which I would like to work on theWord.
Any hint is welcome. Thank you.
Rodrigo Samy
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Conversion from Holy Bible (Sword) modules

Post by csterg »

Hello Samy,
are these text in the public domain?
In general, it is not difficult to convert these files. It requires some scripting here and there,
Costas
Rodrigo Samy

Re: Conversion from Holy Bible (Sword) modules

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Hello Costas, thanks for your answer.

I’ve looked on the material I’ve, and I saw the copyright status of the modules is variable. Some of them are of public domain, others depend on written permission of the creators of the software platform and their modules (created specially for their software), and others have a special permission from external module-creators, only for one or another software platform (CrossWire/The Sword or MK/Holy Bible). Let us see what we can do about this.

For now, I send you some material of public domain I’ve at hands – although those sites may host much more material already with this status. I send with the Syriac version of the NT a font which contains the syriac alphabet, which maybe would be good to incorporate in the packet, so that people with old machines (having also old fonts) would have no problems in displaying the Syriac text.

Regarding the Hebrew-based version of the Psalms of the Vulgate, if you can extract the text of this module, we could easily compare it with our current theWord Vulgate module, to see if there are significant variations. As far as I know – notwithstanding the general orientation of the Vulgate – the Vulgate Psalms (in their final, official form) follow the LXX, not only in numbering but also in content, wherever there are different readings between Greek and Masoretic texts. However, I’m not sure if the module content actually correspond to its title. I need only the text of the Psalms to check it thoroughly (if possible, with break lines... :) )

There are more material, such as Luther commentaries on Galatians (summarized in modern English) or Chesterton's Orthodoxy, but it's not possible to attach any more file. I think that as a sample, it is enough. Thank you very much.
Attachments
institutesCalvin.rar
Calvin Institutes for CrossWire platform. Public Domain.
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 327 times
Vulgate_HebraicPsalms SWORD.zip
Latin version of the Psalms from the Vulgate, translated from Hebrew, for CrossWire platform. Public Domain. Needed confirmation of the conformity with Hebrew Bible instead of LXX.
(77.71 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Peshitta SWORD.zip
Syriac Peshitta version of the New Testament for CrossWire platform. Public Domain. It needs Estrangelo Edessa font.
(368.09 KiB) Downloaded 306 times