Best way to link a morphology term to a Grammar?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
jonathangkoehn

Best way to link a morphology term to a Grammar?

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I have various morphology code dictionaries that are public domain or shareable licensed.

I'm thinking about linking for example OpenHebrewAnalyticalLexicon that has morphology to Genesius Hebrew Grammar
Does anyone have a standard way we could do this? I can do it to just a specific Grammar but more generic would be nice.

It would also be nice to do this in Greek such as to "Grammar of the Greek NT, Robertson"

I'm working on sprucing these two Grammars up a bit.

Thoughts?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Re: Best way to link a morphology term to a Grammar?

Post by DarrelW »

I'm assuming you want something different than hyperlinks?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Hyperlinks would be good, but I'm thinking how to standardize inside the grammar so that even with different topic names we could do a link to various grammars. However, I don't think this is possible at present since the link needs the id of grammar which limits it to one grammar.

I'll work with it. hopefully
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I am intrigued, can you give specific examples of what you want to accomplish?
Something like ομεν or the whole word like ἀκούομεν?
Or in that example:
V1-PAI-1P

Part of speech: Verb (V)
Tense: Present (P)
Voice: Active (A)
Mood: Indicative (I)
Person: 1st (1)
Number: Plural (P)
?
Or something else?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This is from a new version of SBLGNT+MorphGNT anyways see below (At present the morph dictionary isn't this way but it would be nice future wise)

V--AMPGSN-

Verb ----- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Verb
Aorist Tense ----- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Aorist and maybe even Tense has its own hyperlink
Middle Voice ----- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Middle Voice
Participle Mood ---- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Participle and maybe even Mood has its own hyperlink
Genitive ----- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Genitivie
Singular ----- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Singular
Neuter ----- Hyperlink here to a Greek Grammar on the topic of Neuter

Example(s): γενομένου, διαγενομένου (This is part of the morphology dictionary not needed for this post)

The end idea is that the user learns about Grammar as they study the Word of God. I would like this for Hebrew and Greek (Also just in case one needs to refresh a bit)
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Maybe instead of a Hyperlink on the word we could do like what I've seen Rubio Terra do.
Next to the word Aorist for example it could have a Abbreviation for Grammar of the Greek NT, Robertson and another for Goodwin-SyntaxMoodsTensesGreek so one could look at the different options and grammars. I know too many links add up to a heavy module. Thoughts?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

It would be time consuming to do manually but if each word had the topic name in the grammar in a file it could be quite quick to generate the links.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Hmms I think there may be an easier way and would need some standardizing.
If you do the click on a word and "Lookup "word" in > (If the word exists in a grammar it will bring it up) (So since most morphology dictionaries are pretty much the same we don't really need to do much there. However some Grammars are a bit different (Greek is more similar Hebrew gets interesting) Piel could be Pi'el or Hifil could be Hiphil, maybe Hi'phil etc. So if we have a standard name based off the morphology and include it in the topic name like (Piel) then theWord should find it. Just a thought.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jonathan, I like where this is going!
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

jonathangkoehn wrote:Maybe instead of a Hyperlink on the word we could do like what I've seen Rubio Terra do.
Next to the word Aorist for example it could have a Abbreviation for Grammar of the Greek NT, Robertson and another for Goodwin-SyntaxMoodsTensesGreek so one could look at the different options and grammars. I know too many links add up to a heavy module. Thoughts?
One suggestion I have is to bring the grammar into your morph dictionary.
That way, you could use the self hyperlink.
Also, it might be conceivable to hyperlink all the greek words in the grammar.
Or possibly only use only parts of the grammar book and leave out sections you deem unnecessary.

Just throwing out some thoughts, don't know how tough some of that would be to implement.

About the Hebrew, I am not very good with...so I won't make suggestions.
One of these days I hope to study it some more though.

You have some interesting ideas...
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Just a thought on this. Perhaps a normalized Greek dictionary, Greek manual, morph dictionary (Greek Tools), that would be the basis that everyone used for theWord and then if desired that basic tool could be added to would be helpful? The problem may be the "added to" part. I supposed when it is added to it would then have to be checked for accuracy, but when it is added to that addition could be submitted the addition could be checked for accuracy? Just thinking outside the box, may be to far outside the box.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

So in this morph dictionary. Would it be like RMAC+ for the NT?
We have a few options for grammar info. There are some public domain (I believe) ones for Greek and Hebrew.

Greek already in theWord:
Public domain:

-Strong - Greek in a Nutshell
-Grammar of the Greek New Testament - Vol. 1 Prolegomena
-Grammar of the Greek NT, Robertson (I'm working on some sprucing up)
Open Licensed (Not in theWord at present)
-unfoldingWord Greek Grammar online here https://www.unfoldingword.org/ugg
Possible ones but need permission: (Already in theWord also)
-Overview of Greek Grammar by Steve Amato
-Original Language Study by Chris Engelsma

An Hebrew version of RMAC is more complicated WHM is under license so that is out of the options probably.
OpenHebAnLex may be possible to add in info.
Hebrew already in theWord
Public Domain:

-Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar (I'm working on some sprucing up)
-Introductory Hebrew Grammar - Hebrew Syntax (Not sure if Public domain?)
Open Licensed (A work in progress for theWord - you know who you are a hint at getting it out hehe)
-unfoldingWord Hebrew Grammar online here https://www.unfoldingword.org/uhg
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Thinking further, I definitely believe you should incorporate the grammar book into your dictionary(s) and only use the portions of that grammar(s) you deem is most helpful for the user.

That way, it would likely only be a small(er) portion of the grammar so wouldn't affect module size that much.
You could have extras in it, like a pronunciation guide or other information you think should be added.
Could even have common paradigms and conjugation tables.

It could be just about whatever you would want it to be.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Still thinking through this:

What about RMAC, Morphology dictionaries staying the same since their focus is morphology and having a special grammar dictionary. I'm thinking long run so that we could have multi-lingual support.
Or I suppose we could have multi-linual RMAC dictionaries with unique information per language. Hmms I guess then we woudn't need additional coding.
Hmms
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I'm really thinking the information needs to be from public domain sources otherwise this gets very complicated. Or unless we have a user that offers to an abbreviated definition not quoting a book but as their own that we can use.