Bible formatting questions

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
JDalrymple

Bible formatting questions

Post by JDalrymple »

I am migrating my Bible resources from another app into tW. I would like to retain/implement the verse formatting from my current app (like my NAS print Bible, and NAS in Logos): verse number out-dented, verse text left justified, with poetry style manual line breaks for key verses. I have read through the Bible module spec and forum posts, and done some trial and error. I've had some success but I'm not sure if I can effectively replicate the style I'm looking for in tW. The screen shot below is a sample output from my experiments in tW.
tw_scrn.png
tw_scrn.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

Additional information:
* I will do all my reading in paragraph mode and optimize verse display to that mode.
* I plan to add a <CL> or <CM> tag at the end of every verse.
* I plan to place spaces after <CL> tags in the middle of verses to create a left aligned/justified margin
* I have created a tw Bible + Strong's with no additional tagging
* I have a text file with approximately 1000+ manually formatted verses exported from my old Bible

Since I'm new to tW, I'm not sure that the tagging I've used makes sense, or that it won't cause unexpected problems. I may need to consider a compromise that is easier to implement. I'd also appreciate some advice on 'best practices' for making edits, etc.

Issues and questions: (not sure if I need to post these separately?)
* When using the <CL> tag, line spacing is slightly different, a few point(s) less than regular line spacing (see screen capture). Can this be adjusted?
* The first verse of each chapter and those after chapter headings, are indented automatically; is <PF0> the best method to override this?
* Will spaces inserted after the <CL> create problems with user highlights?
* Are there any issues creating Small Caps with <font size=-1>...</font>
* Has anyone created a macro that will jump from the current verse in tW to the corresponding line in your text editor?
* For manual (non-RegEdit) changes, can you tweak a text editor to insert tags by using shortcuts, macros, or pre-defined buttons?
* I would like to replace specific verses in the tw Bible I created with those from my export file. Can anyone recommend a procedure or process that will facilitate the copy/import of these verses from the old module to the new?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
William

Re: Bible formatting questions

Post by William »

Hello & welcome.

You can make a Bible module look pretty much any way you can imagine it, provided you are willing to put in the time, and it appears you are.

I'll need to digest everything you've written more fully before addressing them all.
I'd request you send me a copy of the module you're working on so I can see it first hand.
If that's OK with you, be sure to zip it or 7z it or compress it somehow.
Do Not attach it in it's raw form.

The short answer to your post is: yes, it can be styled as you wish, within certain technical limitations.

me = wm(at)theword.net