Analytical Septuagint with Accents?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Terrie R. Beede

Analytical Septuagint with Accents?

Post by Terrie R. Beede »

Hi,

Does anyone know if an Analytical Septuagint (with Morphology), in ACCENTED text, exists for theWord?

I am aware of the unaccented modules that exist.

Thanks!
RubioTerra

Re: Analytical Septuagint with Accents?

Post by RubioTerra »

I'm working on a module like that right now. I believe it will be good for testing pretty soon.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Sounds great!
Terrie R. Beede

Do we have any updated word on this? I was excited to hear that RubioTerra was working on this, because the Editio Regia, and subsequent TRi, as a sample of his handiwork, is such a useful module.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I had two main problems to solve:
  • Adapt LXX to theWord's versification without having to do it manually. That would be a lot of work. Thankfully this done now.
  • The source I'm using break lemmas in its components. E.g.: ἀποστέλλω is indicated as having two lemmas - ἀπο and στέλλω. Although it's nice to know lemmas' roots this is undesirable, because dictionary look-ups need the real lemma in order for it to work. I can't just glue together all root words to get the lemma, I have to find a way of getting it from somewhere else. I have some ideas to try, but the project is on hold for now. Whenever I find some spare time I'll get on it again.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
Terrie R. Beede

I'd like to encourage you in your work. I'm the pastor of a rural congregation that is traditional and evangelical in doctrinal stance. I also happen to be a managing systems engineer for a reputable IT Firm in a metropolitan marketplace. As such, technology is part of my daily life, and I am continually interested in the legitimate, economical use of technology in ministry. In my opinion, TheWord is very close to running with applications such as BibleWorks and Logos in terms of performance and functionality. In some ways, it already has them beat. What you get for the price is incredible.

Although I can afford to use commercial packages, and I have several of them, I have committed to use TheWord as my primary Biblical research tool, and to grow with it, as it grows. I like the philosophy of the application. (Although I consider BibleWorks' philosophy to be admirable, as well, but even it's reasonable price is out of reach for some pastors).

TheWord already has premium Greek tools available for the New Testament. The only things that I think are lacking in the Old Testament are a Hebrew Lexicon option such as Holladay, Koehler-Baumgartner-Stamm, (or for that matter, even a publically available full version of Brown-Driver-Briggs!), and 2.) a full-fledged Analytical Septuagint module.

At some point I am hoping to write an article on how to use theWord in conjunction with a sermon exegesis process similar to that recommended by Gordon Fee in "New Testament Exegesis" and Douglas Stuart in "Old Testament Exegesis". I believe that it is helpful and encouraging for pastors of small churches to know that this is possible with a tool like theWord.

A complete Analytical Septuagint module would greatly facilitate this! (It can be done today with a combination of 2 or 3 of the extant modules, but a single module like your TRi would be terrific!)

Thanks for your contributions...
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

RubioTerra wrote:I had two main problems to solve:
  • Adapt LXX to theWord's versification without having to do it manually. That would be a lot of work. Thankfully this done now.
  • The source I'm using break lemmas in its components. E.g.: ἀποστέλλω is indicated as having two lemmas - ἀπο and στέλλω. Although it's nice to know lemmas' roots this is undesirable, because dictionary look-ups need the real lemma in order for it to work. I can't just glue together all root words to get the lemma, I have to find a way of getting it from somewhere else. I have some ideas to try, but the project is on hold for now. Whenever I find some spare time I'll get on it again.
Rubio,
you don't really need to do that by hand. There is a tool that takes the file in the original v11n and a map file and does this for you. There is already a map file for LXX texts so you don't even need to do that. Do you have the tool? It has been posted before here.
Costas
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

csterg wrote:Rubio,
you don't really need to do that by hand. There is a tool that takes the file in the original v11n and a map file and does this for you. There is already a map file for LXX texts so you don't even need to do that. Do you have the tool? It has been posted before here.
Costas
Yes, I knew of the v11nmapper tool, but I didn't know there was an available LXX map file. But I found another map-like file and created an script to parse it and format the module. It would be interesting to double check it against the other map file. I couldn't find it on the forum, can you send it to my personal e-mail?
Terrie R. Beede wrote:A complete Analytical Septuagint module would greatly facilitate this! (It can be done today with a combination of 2 or 3 of the extant modules, but a single module like your TRi would be terrific!)
Yes, exactly. ABP is the best we have, except it doesn't have morphology and the companion dictionary isn't available for theWord.
P.S: I didn't put TRi together, I believe it was Sori who did it. I've added Strongs/morphology/lemmas to TRa, and it was the base for TRi.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
Terrie R. Beede

RubioTerra wrote:[Yes, exactly. ABP is the best we have, except it doesn't have morphology and the companion dictionary isn't available for theWord.
P.S: I didn't put TRi together, I believe it was Sori who did it. I've added Strongs/morphology/lemmas to TRa, and it was the base for TRi.
My Apologies, and no disrespect intended to either you or to Sori. It was a mistaken impression that I had. I was following your Editio Regia posts early on, and when the announcement came that the Editio Regia had now become the official TRi module, I assumed that it was attributed to you. I currently use a combination of the ABP and an older Byzantine unaccented text with morphology in parallel to get by for now. I'm sure some others are doing the same.
engellion

Post by engellion »

csterg wrote:There is a tool that takes the file in the original v11n and a map file and does this for you. There is already a map file for LXX texts so you don't even need to do that. Do you have the tool? It has been posted before here.
Costas
Hello Costas,

Could you point me in the right direction for this 'tool'?

Thanks,
Paul.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

http://www.theword.net/files/utils/v11nmapper.rar
Make sure the sqlite3.dll is in the same folder (e.g. put it in theword.exe's folder)
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Is there any further movement on this or am I just on an old thread?