Module Idea - A GUI Parsing Search Tool

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Terrie R. Beede

Module Idea - A GUI Parsing Search Tool

Post by Terrie R. Beede »

Hi,

One nice idea for theWord would be a "Parsing" search tool - a graphical interface for the morphological search function, similar to what is found in Logos or BibleWorks. It strikes me that this could conceivably be added to theWord as "bolt-on" code.

Thanks!
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Module Idea - A GUI Parsing Search Tool

Post by csterg »

I have seen that from screenshots, but never played with it to be honest. I need to get my hands on it
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Has there been any further movement on this? I'd love to have and use this functionality. I think I posed a request similar to a ways back.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

No, sorry
Terrie R. Beede

Post by Terrie R. Beede »

With the passing of BibleWorks, I believe strongly that theWord could fill the void that is left. A morphological search assistant would be something I would be willing to pay for as an add on. BTW, if we could get BDB Unabridged and either Holladay or Koehler-Baumgartner as Premium add-on Hebrew lexicons, theWord would be a very useful tool for seminary students on a budget (It already is). On the Greek side, although there is always room for improvement, imo the absolutely necessary tools are already there. This package could be the alternative to Logos and Accordance - its that good.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Not sure how hard these things are to do
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

From when I used to write code in Visual Studio, this would not be that hard to implement - just the time and your "rather" full schedule. I don't code anymore so it is not something I could do. I am implementing something very similar through a series of book modules. It allows me to drill down to just the morphology I am interested in. Not as good as something you would do in code, but until then looks like it will work for me.

Darrel
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Anyone using Linux might be interested in a little program that I have created. It takes a Greek or transliterated Greek word (typed or pasted in) and finds all morphological variants for that word. It also finds the definitions for those words in some public domain databases.

I been using it for a while. It could use some updating and tweaks to it. Maybe if it's found to be of use I'll get the incentive to develop it some more. The morphology databases for the program should be updated, although work is still being done on the LXX data.

The program was developed using Gambas. The program should run if just the gambas3-runtime package is installed from your Linux distribution. If not than install the other Gambas3 packages. The program *might* run on Windows through Cygwin. The current Cygwin distribution includes the Gambas3 packages. At a minimum the gambas3-runtime and xinit packages will be required for Cygwin.

The download link for a zip file containing the program and data files is https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QijLI ... mWnBH49TsE. Once the Gambas runtime is installed, just unzip the file and execute the "Greek-Analytical-Lexicon.gambas" program.
Last edited by mathetes on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

As I posted in a PM, I installed gambas, ran the program and it returned some very good results. I would like to see it link to TW, which would make it a very interesting program. It does look very promising though. Where do you go with it now Steve?

Darrel
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Hmmm, I have a question perhaps not exactly related to parsing search but programs that can use clipboard...from any text editor, in browser, etc.

For instance, WordWeb can lookup a word using its keyboard shortcut in TheWord.
Of course it is looking for English words but couldn't the means that it uses be incorporated into a program(s) to do all sorts of things?
Perhaps even incorporate into TheWord program itself.

I know Whitaker Words has an engine that works fairly well for Latin words, it parses and gives meanings.
I have wondered if it could be made to work with TheWord.

If there are resources that has exhaustive analytical dictionary information for Greek and/ or Hebrew, that might be able to be leveraged for various searches.

Just some passing thoughts.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Mathetes,
I have been playing more with the tool you created, and I like it. I would really like to see it expanded to do the reverse - to enter a morph string with or without wild cards and have it return all verses with that morph string. That would be really cool!
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Can someone put up some pics of what it looks like? And maybe an explanation of how it works in Logos or Bible Works?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I put up a post a couple years ago of the Greek morphology search tool used in PC Study Bible. Is that something you are looking for?

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Edited - At this time I'm not sure it can be added as bolt-on code.
I found out a bit more information. Something similar to what Mathetes has done for Linux could be made.
That you could then copy-paste into theWORD.
How many would use something like this in Windows?

There may be a in theWORD option as well using a sophisticated dictionary.
It would involve a Book module:
With all the basic info.
Verb
Noun
Adverb
Adjective
etc.

Then under each one there would be sub topics.
Verb would have
Tense next and so on. These would have hyperlinks in each topic that lead to the next subtopic or could just be the topic tree.
Finally at the end or in between it would have the morphology search info
m/V-* all verbs
m/V-P* all present tense verbs etc.

Then you would just select it and right click and search in a Bible that has morphology
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jonathan,
I have completed a set of linked book modules that allow me to start at a top level and walk down to the specific morphology I am looking for. I have not figured out how to use the morphology string with a Greek word to further search. If you can and/or want to expand it that would be cool.

If you send me your email address I will send the set of modules. Compressed it runs 16.4 Mb. My email is [email protected]

Darrel