New dictionary: BDB+Thayer combined! (can replace Strong's)

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

OK, before i do the same chair-bed exchange :D let me answer this:
Yes, it is absolutely correct and expected the behavior you get. Sorry if it is not obvious, but it is correct. Let me try to explain (gets a bit technical):
The links in TW are like the links you use in the web. To be exact, the link for the Strong number that you see in the Bible view is associated with a url of the form: "tw://[strong]?Hxxx" (make an association in your mind with http://www.domain.com?...). Now, when you click on it, one study view will try to find the [strong] module and 'jump' to Hxxx. The only reason that the second, third, etc views will also synchronize is because the "current dictionary word" also changes when you click on a word. This is a completely different but parallel function!

When you click on any word in the Bible view, all dictionaries in the study view are being searched whether they have a definition for this word. So, when you click on Hxxx, all dictionaries will try to match the Hxxx (as an english word, nothing more). When you have the "...show original word..." options, this will fail, since the BDB dictionaries are indexed on the Hxxx number and NOT on the original word...

As you see, the reason that both (or all) the study views synchronize is different for each view: the first one getis synchronized because it is the target of the "tw://[strong]?Hxxx" link, the others are synchronizing because they contain the "Current dictionary word" which is set when you click on any word.

Now, concerning the "Go back" button:
i know, it is disabled because it is not yet implemented... It will change of course, in due time!
I am glad we were able to 'resolve' this somehow!
Costas
Hg

Post by Hg »

Hello Costas!

Thanks for the explanation! After thinking about it, for a while I guessed it had something to do with the general mechanism according to which TW searches dict.s ;)

Concerning the "Go Back"-Button: I'll wait patiently :)

Regards
Hg