New dictionary: BDB+Thayer combined! (can replace Strong's)

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
csterg
Site Admin

New dictionary: BDB+Thayer combined! (can replace Strong's)

Post by csterg »

This is not actually a new module, but just the dictionaries of Thayer's and BDB combined in a single module. The 2 modules were combined in a single one since Thayer's contains definitions for the NT only, whereas the BDB contains definitions for the OT only.

This new module can now be used as the default module to lookup Strong's numbers.

To do so, go from the main menu to:
"Tools" -> "Bible view options" -> "Strong's and morph." page -> "Strong's numbers" section, and from the "Use the following dictionary module to lookup Strong's numbers:" combo box, select the newly installed "BDB/Thayer" module.
if you do that, then this module will be used to show the definitions of Strong's when hovering your mouse over the Strong indices.

A correction was also made to the Thayer's dictionary: the first entry (G1) was corrupted and it showed an extra character in the tree of the study view. The stand-alone Thayer's module was also fixed.
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

One suggestion Bro. Costas. We are seeing that resources keyed to Strong numbers have grown significantly lately (I can name several of them), will it be possible to also (besides what TW3 has now) include an easier access to the changing of the default Strong resource? Thanks.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Leoram,
you mean something simpler than going to the "Bible view options" dialog?
I think this is an option you usually set once and you leave it like that for a while so it would not make much sense to assign an 'easier' way to change it.
There is a shortcut (S) to turn on/off the strong's numbers, but not to change the default module being used.

You can open 2 study views and have them both synchronize on the strong number when you click on it: one will contain the original Strong's dictionary the other will contain the BDB+Thayer's ditionary. So, when you click on a Strong's number you will see both definitions. Would you know how to do that?

Costas
core

Addition: Make BDB/Thayer as default Dictionary

Post by core »

An addition to what have been said since I had a similar question. I think the Strongs are a little bit bumpy. What can I do? Go to "Bible view options" and than to the category "Strong's and Morph". Under "Use the following dictionary module to lookup Strong's numbers:" you can change the default Strongs module to BDB/Thayer if you installed the module. In this case you need only one study view. I think there's no easier way to change the default.
- C.
Last edited by core on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

csterg wrote: you mean something simpler than going to the "Bible view options" dialog?
Yes, as anything simpler would help switch to whatever Strong dictionary the user thinks would help to further go deep in his word studies. But I don't want to distract with this idea, just a thought.
csterg wrote: You can open 2 study views and have them both synchronize on the strong number when you click on it: one will contain the original Strong's dictionary the other will contain the BDB+Thayer's ditionary. So, when you click on a Strong's number you will see both definitions. Would you know how to do that?
Yes, Bro. Costas I've already figured out how to do that and it's a great feature. Thanks. But I'm an advocate of always having a simpler, better way to access options, and mainly those you repeatedly need to get to and rapidly want to switch to. For other features, TW3 already has some options the user can access in a swift way.
Leoram
Hg

Post by Hg »

Leoram wrote:
csterg wrote: You can open 2 study views and have them both synchronize on the strong number when you click on it: one will contain the original Strong's dictionary the other will contain the BDB+Thayer's ditionary. So, when you click on a Strong's number you will see both definitions. Would you know how to do that?
Yes, Bro. Costas I've already figured out how to do that and it's a great feature.
But I haven't - do you mind explaining me how this works?

Thanks
Hg
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Here is how you can have 2 study view, one with BDB the other with Strong and both to synchronize when you click on a Strong index on the Bible view:
1. Make sure you have latest beta 3.0.0.617 (go to Help->About to see the version you have).
2. Open 2 study views, select the BDB in one of them, the Strong's in the other
3. Click on a Strong number: they should both synchronize.

(for this example, let's suppose you have BDB as the default Strong's module)

The only "problem" you may have is that when you click on the strong number, you see that both study views change to the BDB module. This is easily resolved: go to the study view that you want to 'stick' with the Strong's dct and click on the little red clip icon's arrow (click on the black arrow on the right of the clip icon). From there, uncheck the "Automatically change active module when linked".
This will preserve the current module and will not allow it to change to another one.

Hope this helps,
Costas
Hg

Post by Hg »

Hm - This doesn't work with me: I've got Version 3.0.0.617, and I've unchecked the "Automatically change..."-thing, but still, the Strong's-Study-view doesn't react at all: It allways shows strong-no. H1.
Any Idea?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Check that:
1. The clip icon is pressed itself
2. The "Link dictionaries books" (click on the black arrow) is checked
3. The "Link this view even if inactive" (click on the black arrow) is checked
Costas
Hg

Post by Hg »

all three positive
Hg

Post by Hg »

I just realized:

positive means that the options are checked as indicated, but it still doesn't work - was a bit ambigous ;)

Hg
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

If you only have one study view showing the Strong dictionary, does it synchronize when you click on a Strong's number? No matter which one is your default Strong's dictionary.

I am checking all possible options, but it always works. Even tried with 3 study views, no problem...
Costas
Hg

Post by Hg »

It does synchronize, if Strong's dict. is the default one.
It does not synchronize, if DBD/Thayer is the default one.
btw. the same problem occurs, if Strong's dict is the default one: then the DBD/Thayer-vew won't synchronize.

To summarize:
Regardless of the number of study-view-windows, only the window showing the default dict. is synchronizing when clicking on a Strong-Number.

Hg
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I can only think of a single reason: the clip icon itself is not checked!

Do the following:
1. Select "Strong" as the default Strong's dictionary
2. Open a single study view and select BDB
3. Make sure that "Automatically change active module when linked" is NOT checked
4. Make sure that the clip icon ITSELF is pressed. Please, notice that apart from clicking on the black arrow at the right of it (to select options), the icon itself is a checkable button: it has 2 states: checked and unchecked (click on the clip itself so that it stays down/checked).
5. Try again to click on a Strong's number. Check also this: when you click on a Strong's number (with all the above), you should see in the status bar of the program the second sub-panel changing to "Dct: Hxxx" (e.g. the current dictionary word changes as you click on each strong number). Tell me if this is so

Hope you resolve this with the above
Costas
Hg

Post by Hg »

All right. Now I know the problem:

In the options-menu I had the "Instead of showing the Strong's number, show -> original word..." checked.

I tried it afer unchecking this this option, and then it works as expected. I don't know if this classifies as bug, or is by purpose?

btw: When the "...show original word..."-thing is activated, and I have got two windows showing the Strong's dict, only one will synchronize (same applies to DBD/Thayer): It's allways Study View [1] (Completely irrespective of which study view is currently active.) (Actually I think this might be handy, sometimes, but I guess there is a conncetion)

another thing, I just realized (I know, its completely off topic, but my mind isn't allways working "in-topic" ;)): the "Go back"-button isn't working in the Study View. Would be great, if this could be changed in one of the future versions :)

thanks for your patience with me!

Well, I think I will swap my chair for my mattress, now :)
CU Hg