Editing a user reading plan

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
edform

Editing a user reading plan

Post by edform »

I've created a reading plan that works very well - I used the function in the File menu. Now I've spotted a typing error in the list of daily portions and I cannot find a way to edit it - the file is gobbledegook and not editable.

I'd also like to be able to make it a rolling perpetual calendar of readings but the current version is bound to a specific start date and I'm unsure what will happen when January 1 2017 comes around. Is there a way to make the calendar perpetual?

Help to kickstart me would be much appreciated.

Ed Form
Jeff

Re: Editing a user reading plan

Post by Jeff »

edform wrote:I've created a reading plan that works very well - I used the function in the File menu. Now I've spotted a typing error in the list of daily portions and I cannot find a way to edit it - the file is gobbledegook and not editable.

I'd also like to be able to make it a rolling perpetual calendar of readings but the current version is bound to a specific start date and I'm unsure what will happen when January 1 2017 comes around. Is there a way to make the calendar perpetual?

Ed Form
Hi Ed,

Which module is the typo in and where and what is the typo?

When January 1 comes around all your readings will still be there, no matter how far behind you are. I don't know a way to make it perpetual, but you can just check off each reading as you go along and ignore the date. Then you should be able to clear it when you're done and start over. Someone can tell us if they know of another way.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Ed,

I just realized you can make a Bible reading plan and not bind it to calendar dates, it just goes Session 1, Session 2, etc., Is that more what you're looking for? I don't know of a way to do that for daily devotions which are automatically set to calendar dates, but you can still ignore the date and go to the next unchecked reading.
Jeff

edform

Post by edform »

Jeff wrote:
edform wrote:I've created a reading plan that works very well - I used the function in the File menu. Now I've spotted a typing error in the list of daily portions and I cannot find a way to edit it - the file is gobbledegook and not editable.

Ed Form
Hi Ed,

Which module is the typo in and where and what is the typo?
It's one I generated using the 'FILE - New Bible Reading Plan' function in The Word's menu. It seems to generate a compiled file - the name is of the type XXX.rdp.twm and I cannot come up with a way to edit its contents, short of making it again. The typo is simply an incorrect set of readings on a single day - a chapter in Deuteronomy is listed two days in a row. I can easily, although rather laboriously, generate it again, but a quick inline edit of the text would be much easier as the source of the list is a PDF file in columns and has to be hand edited to put the readings in the right order - stupidly, I erased the edited file after I had cut and pasted it into the module generating routine.
Jeff wrote:When January 1 comes around all your readings will still be there, no matter how far behind you are. I don't know a way to make it perpetual, but you can just check off each reading as you go along and ignore the date. Then you should be able to clear it when you're done and start over. Someone can tell us if they know of another way.
I had realised that I could clear down and start again but having the suggested daily portion roll righ back to the beginning automatically on January 1 would be very useful.

Replying to your second message - the whole point of this plan is that it is calendar based.

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer me.

Ed Form
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

edform wrote: It's one I generated using the 'FILE - New Bible Reading Plan' function in The Word's menu. It seems to generate a compiled file - the name is of the type XXX.rdp.twm and I cannot come up with a way to edit its contents, short of making it again.
I'm pretty sure you should be able to edit it as an SQLite database. Have you had any experience with them? If not there are free SQLite programs you can use. Some have been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I'm not very knowledgeable with SQL, so back up your module before trying anything. But try browsing data, sessions, and look for the numerical book/chapter/verse you wish to edit.
Jeff

edform

Post by edform »

Jeff wrote:
edform wrote: It's one I generated using the 'FILE - New Bible Reading Plan' function in The Word's menu. It seems to generate a compiled file - the name is of the type XXX.rdp.twm and I cannot come up with a way to edit its contents, short of making it again.
I'm pretty sure you should be able to edit it as an SQLite database. Have you had any experience with them? If not there are free SQLite programs you can use. Some have been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I'm not very knowledgeable with SQL, so back up your module before trying anything. But try browsing data, sessions, and look for the numerical book/chapter/verse you wish to edit.
I looked at the file with sqlite3.exe and it is indeed a database with three tables but they are all simply tables of comma separated numbers and editing them isn't on. I'll have to build the thing again.

Thanks for helping me check this out.

Ed Form
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

edform wrote: I looked at the file with sqlite3.exe and it is indeed a database with three tables but they are all simply tables of comma separated numbers and editing them isn't on. I'll have to build the thing again.

Ed Form
I'm not sure what sqlite3.exe is, but I was able to edit a reading plan I had made using DB Browser for SQLite, which I don't think is one recommended by Costas and Jon earlier, but it seems to work for me. http://sqlitebrowser.org/

I have Deuteronomy (Book 5) Chapters 3 -4 inclusive (Deu 3:1 - 4:49) highlighted in the screen shot. I was able to double click on it, change it to whatever passage I wanted, write changes (I think that means save). When I opened theWord back up the reference had indeed been changed. Again, my understanding of SQLite is very limited, so I don't know if I can help if you need to do something more complicated, at least not without trial and error. But I hope you can save some time and work.
Attachments
SQLite.jpg
SQLite.jpg (141.97 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Jeff

edform

Post by edform »

Jeff wrote:
edform wrote: I looked at the file with sqlite3.exe and it is indeed a database with three tables but they are all simply tables of comma separated numbers and editing them isn't on. I'll have to build the thing again.

Ed Form
I'm not sure what sqlite3.exe is, but I was able to edit a reading plan I had made using DB Browser for SQLite, which I don't think is one recommended by Costas and Jon earlier, but it seems to work for me. http://sqlitebrowser.org/

I have Deuteronomy (Book 5) Chapters 3 -4 inclusive (Deu 3:1 - 4:49) highlighted in the screen shot. I was able to double click on it, change it to whatever passage I wanted, write changes (I think that means save). When I opened theWord back up the reference had indeed been changed. Again, my understanding of SQLite is very limited, so I don't know if I can help if you need to do something more complicated, at least not without trial and error. But I hope you can save some time and work.
When I looked up SQLite, I didn't find DB Browser - thanks very much for the tip. I checked it out and it works well - counting which book is which needs a bit of care, but at least it all makes sense.

I've actually recreated the reading plan now, in both leap year and normal year formats, so I don't need to edit the faulty one any more but it's nice to see the basis on which this wonderful software is built.

Ed Form