See Old Testament quotes from New Testament from where?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
mch0020

See Old Testament quotes from New Testament from where?

Post by mch0020 »

Hi,

I just bought the NASB bundle because I like how in the New Testament, quotes from the Old Testament are in capitals. However, I would also like to see WHERE from the Old Testament the quotes are from. I hope this makes sense.

For example, Hebrews 8:8-12 in the New Testament is from Jeremiah 31:31-34. However, I found it by searching a phrase from Hebrews 8:8 to find the verses in Jeremiah. I wanted to know if there is a simpler way with NASB that just shows me that Hebrews 8:8-12 is from Jeremiah 31:31-34 without having to use the search feature. I appreciate any help! Thank you!

(Heb 8:8 [NASB])
For finding fault with them, He says, “BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;

(Heb 8:9 [NASB])
NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.

(Heb 8:10 [NASB])
“FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

(Heb 8:11 [NASB])
“AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN, AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, ‘KNOW THE LORD,’ FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.

(Heb 8:12 [NASB])
“FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES, AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.”

(Jer 31:31 [NASB])
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

(Jer 31:32 [NASB])
not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the LORD.

(Jer 31:33 [NASB])
“But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

(Jer 31:34 [NASB])
“They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
JG

Re: See Old Testament quotes from New Testament from where?

Post by JG »

Welcome to the forum.

It appears that the NASB contains cross-references that should point to one or more places in the OT where it could have been quoted from.

So you need to have cross-references turned on [shortcut toggle in Bible view is X] and set to use the NASB cross-reference. Settings are in the Bible view options [CTRL+O]
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet