Jerome's vulgate

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
DarkiYahu

Jerome's vulgate

Post by DarkiYahu »

I found this free source for the Latin vulgate - just as another witness if needed. I can't read Latin so it's nice to have a translation of it. Mostly interested at the moment in regards of Gen 5 and Gen 11 in regards of dates and ages.

http://vulgate.org

Maybe someone can use it.
RevSteve

Re: Jerome's vulgate

Post by RevSteve »

Look up and download VulSearch 4, it uses Whitakers Words for words lookup and also parses (somewhat).
I used it for a few years, it actually works pretty well though it seems to have a bug...or it is my system setup that cuts off the last couple of verses of a chapter.

I used a work-around of resizing the window shorter then moving moving the scroll control all the way down and then lengthening the window once again.
DarkiYahu

Re: Jerome's vulgate

Post by DarkiYahu »

Thanks for it seemed to use the later latin version.

At the moment I'm actually looking for old latin on Gen 5 and 11
It seems the Latin and Peshitta pretty much followed the Masoretic text which would be expected as the Sedar Olam was made around the 2 century which agrees with the Masoretic text, so if there had been any corruption to the text it would already have happened at that point. Thereby making translations afterwards being possible to agree with the Masoretic text like Jerome's version and the Peshitta.

It seems the Greek and Josephus does not agree on the dates, and in regards of after the flood the Samaritan seems to also be against the Masoretic version mostly agreeing with the Greek and Josephus.

So, I wonder what the old Latin is actually saying, now that it is said to be translated from the Greek.