Searching resources organized in different book views ???

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
edil

Searching resources organized in different book views ???

Post by edil »

Hi,

Today I was researching a little bit about montanism so I did a search on all the resources I have available. The thing is that I have so many resources that I can not put them on a single book view so I dived them in multiple book views by topic. When I got the search result and click on one of them the program can not bring it up because it was on another book view and not the current one. I have to look at all the topics looking for a that particular resource. How do you work around this?

regards
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Searching resources organized in different book views ??

Post by csterg »

I suppose you get the warning dialog that says "Cannot display..."
Well, if you click 'Yes' you will see it. The warning is just because your views are adjusted to only display the selected set.
Another solution would be to create a new Book view with 'All Modules' and just keep it open, so it will always be used to display the topic.
Does this help?
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Costas, what is the impact of maintaining an all books view open in terms of memory or performance?

Also, in case there were no negative impact, can a constant switching among views be avoided if TW is made to automatically switch to all books view when the need in question is present?

Thanks.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Leoram wrote:Costas, what is the impact of maintaining an all books view open in terms of memory or performance?
Depends on the number of modules.
If you have more than 1000, you will feel it. Else probably nothing.
Also, in case there were no negative impact, can a constant switching among views be avoided if TW is made to automatically switch to all books view when the need in question is present?
This is not correct; it shouldn't happen; what happens now is more correct: all book views are searched to see if a new mod can be added; if not there is an option to create a new. But the solution i said above actually solves this problem.
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

There is a good feature for one to preview the topic by hovering the Hyper-link in the search results, saves any window opening. And there was a suggestion to be able to pin a popup open.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

I think there is a problem of practicability here. I can perceive in edil's initial post compared to all the responses, including mine, that there is a conflict surrounding something difficult to explain in between, that maybe only after intense use on the part of a user can possibly be caught.

I suggest to try to look for something in the whole library without a predefined condition with book views and do this several times in a row. Can you see this? That's the reason I suggested in one of my previous posts (not on this thread) the idea of a central search for the whole stuff independently of what views you have opened.

Furthermore, the feature Jon mentioned (pinning the pupop while researching) is one of those features I've long awaited.

TW is already a fine product, but features like these would make it even finer.

Thanks.
Leoram
edil

Post by edil »

csterg wrote:I suppose you get the warning dialog that says "Cannot display..."
Well, if you click 'Yes' you will see it....
The thing is that if I press yes the resource get added to the current book view and I don't want that.
csterg wrote:Another solution would be to create a new Book view with 'All Modules'...
The problem is that I have so many modules that with all modules listed in a single book view there is little space (close to nothing), to read the material.
edil

Post by edil »

JG wrote:There is a good feature for one to preview the topic by hovering the Hyper-link....
Yes I has been using the preview but you have to read the narrow window and all that. Don't forget to press the SHIFT key so it doesn't goes away. Something that I need to check is that for some reason some of the preview windows appears all black.
JG

Post by JG »

edil wrote:
csterg wrote:I suppose you get the warning dialog that says "Cannot display..."
Well, if you click 'Yes' you will see it....
The thing is that if I press yes the resource get added to the current book view and I don't want that.
csterg wrote:Another solution would be to create a new Book view with 'All Modules'...
The problem is that I have so many modules that with all modules listed in a single book view there is little space (close to nothing), to read the material.
You can show the tabs in one line. The option is set from the menu of the "define module sets" button.

Or you could define a module set that is organized by type or on the initial letter, (try it), from the define module sets dialog, second tab.

On the other point, if your popup windows are too narrow you can resize the width of any of them.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
edil

Post by edil »

My original question was how do you work around the issue. Csterg and JG provided the answers so... closed case.

Again thanks very much for your support I will check all your suggestions.

regards