Making TW default to a Bible view when opened

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Leoram

Making TW default to a Bible view when opened

Post by Leoram »

Hi all dear folks here.

Help me please.

Is there an option (be it any already available, or one obtainable by technical intervention... --config.ini editing, etc.--), by means of which I could get TW to always default to the same Bible view when the program is opened?

I would like to assign, for instance, Bible view [1] as the default one; so, no matter what other Bible view had the focus when I previously closed TW, my default view, in this case [1] gets the focus. The one chosen as default could also be any other.

I have the assumption that, in order for this to work properly as an option, TW would have to place the focus on the assigned view automatically at the moment it is closed, rather than when it is opened. Better still if I could also choose the box Verse reference (F4) as default, also as an option.

If not please take this as a feature request. Adding this capability would produce a sense of better user experience I think.

Thank you very much.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Making TW default to a Bible view when opened

Post by csterg »

Well, this is a very specific request that goes against what someone would expect.
Sorry, I don't think it is something I would add for now
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

csterg wrote:Well, this is a very specific request that goes against what someone would expect.
Sorry, I don't think it is something I would add for now
Costas
Costas, in order for me to understand your response better, and also to make my best in future posts to elaborate my requests in a more cautious way..., will you please tell me what you mean by "specific request" and by "someone would expect"? Who is that "someone"?

I want to contribute to the theWord and to this forum as a follower and user since version 2, and I think this program has been to me an invaluable blessing, but I want to strive myself to be more productive in my contributions when I post.

In Christ.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I may have mis-communicated.
The idea is that such a feature would only be used by very few users and would probably confuse most 'average' users if it was added in a 'visible' manner (e.g. in a dialog).
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

csterg wrote:I may have mis-communicated.
The idea is that such a feature would only be used by very few users and would probably confuse most 'average' users if it was added in a 'visible' manner (e.g. in a dialog).
Costas
Costas, thanks for your response. The mere fact that you reply directly to posts here is a demonstration of the benefits we get when we look for support in this forum, and this is a challenge for any developer in these busy days.

Now, my request is not expressly asking for a visible manner, like a dialog box for instance, and if this were the case, it could be made hidden deep as part of the advance tab in Preferences (just a suggestion). Please re-read my first post on the top and see that I hinted a way to make it through the config.ini file or through any other means. Also, TW already provides in many ways for advance users, and not only for average ones. This is precisely one of its wonderful characteristics that differentiates this Bible application from other popular ones out there like the Berean Bible program (you know much about that) or e-Sword.

I have requested this option because in my studies while using TW intensely, I have come to the conclusion that it would solve some practical problems apart from also jumping by default to a preferred view.

Thanks for your time and dedication. :D
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Try build 1424. I added a config.ini parameter named

Code: Select all

active.bible.view.force=_bible_view_X
where X=1, 2, ...
Is that what you wanted?

Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

csterg wrote:Try build 1424. I added a config.ini parameter named

Code: Select all

active.bible.view.force=_bible_view_X
where X=1, 2, ...
Is that what you wanted?

Costas
Costas, I don't find a line with this new code you wrote above. I ran the new 1424 beta build, closed it and then opened the config.ini file to look for it. Doing a search with my text editor returns a "can't find the text" message. Obviously I thought I should first delete the old config file to allow the program to build a new one (backed up first); which I did, but I can't find that line of code in the new file. I even tried searching for part of the string like the following:

active.bible.view.force=_bible_view, or
active.bible.view.force

I did find active.bible.view (no .force included) and only until here it is found:

Did you mean I have to manually include the string in one of the lines of the config.ini file? If so, under what heading and what specific line number?
Leoram
JG

Post by JG »

Just put it below the [general] section which is at the top of the file.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

JG wrote:Just put it below the [general] section which is at the top of the file.
SOLVED.

Now I will continue testing.

Fast delivery service. :D

Thank you very much!
Leoram
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Now, with this new change introduced by Costas adding this new code to the config.ini file, two of my practical problems are gone.

1. I have always wanted one specific Bible view to receive the focus. This allows me to see it as my default view, and also go directly with Shift+F3 and search for a specific Bible translation/version in that view. This is quite convinient. :)

2. Also solved one of the BIGEST ones: With many (50+) Bible files in Compare view, if that window had the focus when TW was last closed, the program would not open. Now it does.

I hope this feature gets one day elevated to the Preference dialog box rather than so deep in the config.ini file (which is a great help anyway). Makes sense.

Thank you Costas. :D
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

You are welcome :)

Last bumped by Leoram on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:43 pm.