TW on Linux lacks a minimize button

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
paul1149

TW on Linux lacks a minimize button

Post by paul1149 »

I've just converted my main machine from Win7 to LinuxLite (2.4 x64), a ubuntu derivative that I've happily settled on. I installed Wine 1.7 and the latest release of TW. All is going well except that the GUI lacks a minimize icon in the top-right. Not sure if that's a Wine 1.7 issue or TW. I think the previous installs of TW on Wine were fine, but I'm not sure.

Other, expected issues:

The anti-aliasing under Wine is not nearly as good as under either Windows or Linux, even after using WineTricks to implement it. And I am going to miss the Clipboard Monitor.
toconvertvid

Re: TW on Linux lacks a minimize button

Post by toconvertvid »

Maybe tW would work better running inside of VirtualBox?
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

That's something I hadn't thought of. I really wouldn't want to lose resources to a perpetual VM, but it is an idea. Thanks.

BTW, it's not just the [-] icon that is missing. The Minimize function is grayed out on the System Menu as well.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Try to go to 'View->Skin' and uncheck the 'Use skinned window border'
Costas
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Costas - that did it - well, checking it did it, actually. Before it was unchecked and used Linux' title bar, now it uses Windows title bar successfully. This is my fourth Linux install in two weeks, so I'll begin to check for this.

Thank you,
Paul
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I did another Linux install yesterday, and no problem. I must have clicked it accidentally on this install. But I will watch it from now on.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I'm now on TW 5.0.0.1465 and the setting to disable "Use skinned window border" seems to be absent, as is the Minimize button in the Title Bar.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

It was removed
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

A ha. I can disable desktop window management of the Title Bar in WINE globally, or I can live with TW as it is and roll the interface up rather than minimize. I'll probably stick with the latter. Other Windows progs do not have the missing Minimize button under WINE, BTW.
therapon

Post by therapon »

It appears the issue might be related to the desktop environment you are using. I assume you are using Xfce if you are still on Linux Lite. I see the behavior you describe there (on MX-15 that uses the Xfce desktop).

TW on Wine on KDE has the minimize button as expected regardless of window decorator setting and it functions properly. Pretty sure I've seen it there on other DE's as well. I've tried TW on most of the popular DE's to see if I could track down the annoying popup window behavior.

therapon
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks, therapon. That narrows it down a lot. Yes, still on Linux Lite x64, with the XFCE enviro, and WINE 1.7.
therapon

Post by therapon »

fwiw, there are a number of "native" app windows on Xfce that lack a minimize button, at least on MX-15. I noticed particularly things related to settings - e.g. Window Manager, Appearance, Display. Thunar, Leafpad, Synaptic, Disk Manager all have the minimize (or Hide) button. It doesn't seem to be theme related. I'm not enough of a geek to figure out why the difference or how to change it :lol:
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Not sure I'm following you. The minor applets here lack the minimize button. This would include Appearance, Disk Manager and Window Manager. But all the other apps you mention do have the minimize button here. I'm using the Mediterranean Light theme, and I don't want to switch away from it for fear of losing any tweaks.

Under Configure WINE I can revert to WINE's window manager and get a gradient Windows Title Bar with Minimize button, but it's pretty ugly and doesn't blend in with the rest of my install.

I get why some apps under Linux will have the Min button, and some not, by design. But I don't get why WINE passing window control over to Linux would delete a Min button that already exists, on some apps and not on others.
therapon

Post by therapon »

Punctuation is everything! On my setup the minor applets do not have the minimize button. Thunar, Leafpad, Synaptic, Disk Manager all do have the minimize (or Hide) button.

Is there a Windows theme similar to Mediterranean? You can use some Windows Themes in Wine and adjust the size of a few things (Winecfg / Desktop Integration).
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yes, that's just how it is here. :)

There is a nice semi-dark Windows theme for WINE - Royale - and I already use it, with the Royale Noir color setting. It affects menu bars, etc, but it doesn't seem to hit scroll bars, at least in TW, which is a problem because they end up too light. And it doesn't hit the Title bar at all.

Hmmm.. your suggestion led me to look again in the WINE configurator, and there are individual settings there for the window elements. Scrollbar colors don't work in TW; maybe they're controlled by TW themes. But the Title bar is affected. The system is a buggy, but after some tries I have a Windows XP-ish title bar with a decent dark tone to it, and the Min button. I think that's workable.

Soon Linux Lite will go to v 3, and at that point I'll upgrade WINE to the latest (1.97 at this writing). Perhaps that will be even better.

Thanks for the ideas!