what is insert manager

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
kenfhill84083

what is insert manager

Post by kenfhill84083 »

I right-clicked on a verse ref in a TSK and noticed an option on the context menu - "insert" which had a flyout option "insert manager".

I played around a bit but I'm seeking counsel about how this is useful. I couldn't find anything in help and posts I found in the forum don't make sense to me.

Not a high priority. Just curious at this point.
royhieatt

Re: what is insert manager

Post by royhieatt »

This is one I don't understand either. Since it became available I have looked for it, and it does not show in any of my menu popup's. An explanation of "insert manager" would be very helpful and welcome.

Roy
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

kenfhill84083 wrote:I right-clicked on a verse ref in a TSK and noticed an option on the context menu - "insert" which had a flyout option "insert manager".
I probably ought to mention that I had changed the TSK module properties so I could edit the module. insert manager doesn't seem to be a option in non-editable modules.
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Ken,

Thanks for that update. It did the trick. I now see what "insert manager" is and does. Hope they get your problem resolved.

Roy
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

royhieatt wrote:Ken,

Thanks for that update. It did the trick. I now see what "insert manager" is and does. Hope they get your problem resolved.

Roy
I don't really have a problem, I was just looking for tips RE how people use this feature.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

One thing it appears you can do with it; if you often copy and paste from the work of someone else you can use the insert manager to attribute the work. For instance in Insert Manager I can put under Description "Henry", and under Insert Value "Matthew Henry's Whole Bible Commentary" (or just "Matthew Henry" or however you want to do it) and insert it after the quote. Then after you insert it in your text, the next time you right click and select the insert manager it will give you the choice of inserting "Henry" and/or whatever other text you have inserted recently.

It appears you can use it for any text you use over and over without having to retype it or copy and paste each time. You can also input the date and/or time and other things as you can see from the options.

At least, that's what it appears to me to be useful for. I've never really paid any attention to it until you brought it up. Thanks, I may have learned another handy thing theWord can do! :D
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

What version is the insert manager in? I am using version 5 but can't seem to find it by right clicking in any of the modules? Thanks
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

UBC4ME wrote:What version is the insert manager in? I am using version 5 but can't seem to find it by right clicking in any of the modules? Thanks
In the changelog.txt (http://www.theword.net/files/beta/changelog.txt) under a divider reading " - TW VERSION 5 OFFICIAL RELEASE" is other lines:

- [fix]: insert manager: the Help window did not have as parent the current form: clicked twice would 'crash' tw.

This indicates to me that the insert manager is a feature of version 5.

In my limited experience, the insert manager only works in book view, in a module which you can edit. Did you try it in a new book you created, for example?
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

kenfhill84083,

Thank you, found it :)
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The Help File is not up-to-date, but the idea of insert manager is to allow to insert into your user modules snippets (like current data, your name, a citation) without typing them each time,
Costas