"Custom sets" duplicated in "Copy Verses" dialog box

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
ErikJon

"Custom sets" duplicated in "Copy Verses" dialog box

Post by ErikJon »

Hello, again.

The following problem described may well be due to some glitch in my system, rather than in the program, or perhaps due to a corrupted config.ini file, but nonetheless, I will mention it and see if anyone can offer a suggestion.

Essentially, I created three or four "custom sets" within the "copy verses" dialog box, during the past few years, and probably ended up using only one of them, again and again.

I upgraded the program several times, changed layouts a few times, etc., over the years.

Today I noticed that there were about 40 duplicate copies of each of these sets, referenced in the drop-down box where custom sets are usually named and saved. There were a total of 155 items listed.

In fact, this week I would just as soon delete all of them, and start afresh with a new layout anyway. I tried deleting each of the 155 items (as there was no option to "delete all" or "reset the list." Just to be safe, after every 50, I closed the "copy verses" dialog box and then re-opened it, to continue deleting the remaining duplicate listings.

When I finished, I created a new set called "Erik 123," and re-saved it two or three times with similar names, just to have back-up copies on the list.

I selected "close and copy" each time, before closing the dialog box as mentioned above, and each time re-opened the dialog box, things were as they had been when I closed it.

I closed the program and re-started the program, wating about 30 seconds for it to fully shut down. I opened the program, and the layout was unchanged (which was a good sign). I opened the "copy verses" dialog box with F5, and my settings were still there, but the 155 duplicate listings had re-appeared in the drop-down box.

Believe it or not, I repeated the whole cycle again, deleting 155 one by one, and closed the program. I backed up my config.ini file and all the other files and folders, a a precaution, (except the books and Bibles, etc) and re-opened the program. Again, the 155 duplicates were on the list.

Is there any other way to clear out this list? Even manually from the config.ini file or wherever the data is stored?
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: "Custom sets" duplicated in "Copy Verses" dialog box

Post by JG »

I experienced this on a small scale. I could not repeat it (yet), though I did get it to crash and so Costas will have perhaps some idea what is happening.

It is possible to clear out the data from the config.ini file using regular expressions search and replace in Notepad++ or EditPad Pro, that have such.

Code: Select all

\[CopyVerses:\d+\].+?^$
should find the sections.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thank you, Jon.

Yes, I failed to mention that mine had crashed a few times also, because I had attriuted it to the possibility that I had made a few unorthodox maneuvers, but if it crashed on you, I think there must really be a bit of a problem, then. Mine crashed in the sense that "copy and close" would not close the window, nor any other button for that matter; the program remained open and working, but I could not get the "copy verses" window out of the way, to work.

I also failed to mention (intentionally for the sake of simplifying my case) that, when typing the name of a new set, the "at beginning of chapter" field of the "Step 4" section would include all sorts of placeholders or other gibberish-looking stuff.

And not to say that merely removing all those 155 duplicates would solve the problems. I just assumed that, the cleaner the system, the better the chances of running the program smoothly.

I used a text editor to open the config.ini file and delete all sets but two: one of my new sets, and one set that did not have any name, which looked like it might be important.

Incidentally, what I am assuming to be "sets" consisted in about fifteen lines of text, separated from other things by an empty line of text (an empty return), but the strange thing is that they were not all grouped together in the same part of the config.ini file, as I would have rather expected; there were about five duplicate sets in one spot, for example, then another ten in another, then another five in another, and so on, and at the end of the file, about thirty sets grouped together, with about five empty lines after that, at the end. I don't think there were 155 duplicate sets to remove in total, but more like 50 it seemed. I searched for "copyverses" and nothing else showed up.

So far, it seems to have worked. The program shows only one new set now in the list.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Erik,
the way that sets are saved has changed during the beta period.
It is more than probable that this internal change has caused this incompatibility. Jon's suggestion to manually remove old sets is the best thing to do for now. I will look into the problem one way or another.

Now that you have cleaned-up your config.ini, if you get this error again please get back
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. Thanks again.