User formatting toolbar dimmed

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
dncb

User formatting toolbar dimmed

Post by dncb »

I'm new to theWord - learning my way around & want to actually use it while I learn. I've set up the bible versions I want visible in the Bible view and the other windows I want visible. But I cannot seem to do what I thought would be the simplest thing: start being able to underline, highlight, etc. in the Bible view. The toolbar is present. The "show/hide user highlighting..." button is active. But the rest of the icons are dimmed and do nothing regardless of toggling the above mentioned button and regardless of Bible text I select text to be formatted in. When I switch to the other windows like maps or commentary the formatting toolbar (another version of it) becomes active. I'm missing something simple I know, but after two hours I'd like to actually get on with study. What am I not doing to activate that toolbar in the Bible view window?
JG

Re: User formatting toolbar dimmed

Post by JG »

Welcome to the forum.
I would guess that you are attempting to highlight in the view while it is in compare mode? However as shown by the greyed-out format bar it is not possible.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
dncb

Post by dncb »

You're saying I can only have one Bible version showing to be able to highlight, underline, etc.? So I would have to create another layout? If so will the formatting transfer to my comparative view in the correct bible version?
JG

Post by JG »

No need to have a different layout. Simply select the Bible you want to highlight.... when your done, select your Compare/set (if you saved it), or select it from the history in the viewer icons as the left of Bible view, top two arrows,(small arrow at left gives a list)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
dncb

Post by dncb »

OK. Thank you for the help. I see what's going on now. That is a work-around, albeit a bit labor intensive to switch back and forth to accomplish what could be done in a second in a comparative paper Bible - or in this electronic version if the program could keep each version straight during highlighting simply creating a user version at the first highlighting instance and returning to it when the saved layout is recalled for use.

Suggestion: that the program acquire the ability to mark up any bible version in comparative view without affecting the others unless a right click yields the option, "apply formatting to [drop down menu-[displayed versions]] ."
Thank you authors for an otherwise full featured program. I love the hover to show Strongs!