Help with Greek: making a reader's bible in theWord

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
ahodder

Help with Greek: making a reader's bible in theWord

Post by ahodder »

Hi everyone

I am a second year seminary student and love using the word for both English and Greek Bible study.

It's really helpful to have the greek dictionaries just one click away, but it also means it's easy to skip the hard work in translation. I'd love a way to highlight words in the NT that occur less than a certain occurrence (for example, less than 30x) so that I can spot the vocab I should know from the vocab that it would be useful to lookup.

Is there any way to make a filter to do this, or to use the search function to highlight accordingly?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
jonathangkoehn

Re: Help with Greek: making a reader's bible in theWord

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Perhaps a custom made dictionary. Were you edit the top of the dictionary entry to say something for the some 311 vocab or however much vocab you should already know.

It would take some work to do but it would also help you work on vocab as you do it.

I don't know of an easy solution anyone else? Perhaps this has already been done by someone. I'd be interested as well I'm about to go into my intermediate greek as well and this would be helpful.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

I may be able to help with this. What critical text are you using? I have NA26, WHNT, Scriv 1894, Stephanus 1550, Tishendorf, Robinson & Pierpoint, and Majority. What format does it need to be in example: WORK times used?
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
ahodder

Post by ahodder »

UBC4ME wrote:I may be able to help with this. What critical text are you using? I have NA26, WHNT, Scriv 1894, Stephanus 1550, Tishendorf, Robinson & Pierpoint, and Majority. What format does it need to be in example: WORK times used?
I have NA28. I guess for the dictionary idea it would need to be keyed with strong's numbers or something so that you could click on the Greek text and have it link to a definition. If the dictionary only has definitions for words occurring 30 times or less then it would not show words that you should know already!

Still I think the ideal would be some way of highlighting the Biblical text with this information. This website: http://www.biblewebapp.com/reader/ already does what I am looking for, but it is not the critical translation of the text, and the lexicon entries are weak.

Can you use a dictionary in theWord to highlight the words it contains in the Biblical text?
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Perhaps I misunderstood. What I can do with the critical texts that I have is create a table that shows the greek word and the number of times it is used in the text. Not sure this is what you are looking for or need.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

1. Someone would need to take a free version of the greek new testament that is not locked. Byz2005+ or a NA version but lemmas or strong numbers would be required.
2. Some programming experience to build a script/program that looks for 30 words or less and highlights the text
3. Plenty of time

Possible yes, easy not so much.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

A work around could be this:

Make a user dictionary with the greek lemma or strong number of the words you know. (Strongs would be best because then one wouldn't be tempted to use the lemma to figure it out.)
And in the content put "Figure this one out" or something like this. (This would work with the NA28)

Then in the "Bible view options" go to "Word lookup dictionaries"
1. check Look up words in dictionaries as mouse moves over Bible viewer
2. in "...lookup words in these dictionaries"
make sure your dictionary is checked and apply.
3. Now to see if it is a word you need to figure out if you can't recongnize it will show the Lemma/Strong and "Figure this one out"
4. Not as nice as highlighting but usuable.

What is your vocabularly list? Do you have it in electronic format? If so this wouldn't be hard at all.
ahodder

Post by ahodder »

What is your vocabularly list? Do you have it in electronic format? If so this wouldn't be hard at all.
Hi

Sorry it's taken a long time to reply - Assignments and life etc!

I've found a way to create a spreadsheet of vocab as required. What format would work for turning it into a dictionary as suggested?

Thanks
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

1. Create a new user dictionary
2. For each word create a new topic and enter the word's information (Perhaps "You should know this one see below for help and enter the definition farther down.")
3. Use a Bible like Byz2005++, NA28, NA27, TRa etc. using the Lemma word lookup option in your Bible.
4. When you click on your Greek words that are in your dictionary it will then show whatever is in the dictionary

I did this for some of my Basics of Biblical Greek words manually around 300 entries or more. Someone else may have a tool to go through a spread sheet and build a dictionary for you.