error: [5]: database is locked (since backup on the cloud)

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Rodrigo Samy

error: [5]: database is locked (since backup on the cloud)

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Hi, dear friends!

Some two weeks ago, I began to create a cloud backup for my main folders. There is a server which offers a GOOD lot of Gigas, quick upload, practical restoration of files or folders, &c. It update daily any backuped folder that suffered any change (creating, deleting or changing any document).

Then I thought it would be a good idea to backup not only normal work files, but also the whole folder of theWord files, within the Program Data folder - because this folder is VERY important to protect and to keep in any possible way.

I saw that while the upload to the cloud server of the theWord folder was running in background, it interfered with some files I was working on theWord and making some changes - some very minor changes were lost. I thought: "Well, this is natural, once the upload of theWord folder is finished, it will no more interfere".

Now, the upload is finished but - probably due to the daily updating feature of the cloud backup server - I found that some dictionary files (exactly those I worked some changes on) are no more able to be initialized. When opening the theWord, the following message appears: "There were some errors initializing some of your installed modules. The following modules could not be loaded: .... (error: [5]: database is locked).

Now, I am absolutely sure it is not a theWord bug, it has to do with the process of uploading the files and some conflict with theWord operation. Now, I am working on these dictionaries almost daily through some years on and I think their files suffered some corruption.

And yes, I already eliminated the backup on the cloud, so that no more updating or synchronization will be done. I put off the desktop software of the cloud server, so that there is no more possible interference of this cloud software upon the theWord folder. But all I get, when initializing theWord again and again, is the same error message.

Now, two questions:
1) Is there any way to unlock the database of the files?
2) Is there any safe way to backup the theWord Program Data files on the cloud? With some automatic updating? It would be enough to avoid problems NEVER running at the same time the cloud software and theWord? Or should I choose a server with no automatic updating feature at all?

Thanks for any answer, most specially to question 1.
JG

Re: error: [5]: database is locked (since backup on the clou

Post by JG »

reboot your computer and the file should be unlocked.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Rodrigo Samy

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Thank you very much, Jon! :D the files are working again (as if files newly installed, but in their proper folders in the module sets, as previously).

Now, have you any advice about cloud backup for the Program Data folder of theWord, so that any trouble is minimized? Thank you again.
JG

Post by JG »

Something I would try would be to have a compact USB installation to 'OneDrive' folder (If you are using Windows 10). OneDrive should synchronize (once you have chosen the folders you want synchronized) automatically as soon as theWord is closed and no longer using files. Not sure what happens if you try to start theWord while OneDrive is syncing, as I have not tried.

If you are not familiar with the Compact USB install, you can see instructions I did for the beta install viewtopic.php?p=17013#p17013
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet