Default Bible Version

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
therapon

Default Bible Version

Post by therapon »

I know that under File/Preferences/Bible Texts you can set the Default Version. That sets it globally. Is it possible to set the Default on a per-layout basis?

therapon
therapon

Re: Default Bible Version

Post by therapon »

I guess 29 views with no response means "no". IMO, it would be a helpful feature. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to implement.

therapon
JG

Post by JG »

With the exception of the predefined layouts it has always been possible to set the default Bible on each layout, but the layout needs to be saved after the change.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

Ok, I guess I'm missing something. If I set the Default Bible using File/Preferences/Bible Texts and save the layout, it changes the default for all layouts. If I choose Set as Default from the context menu in a Bible view and then save the layout, I get the same results.

The online help under Global Preferences states
"Global program preferences control the way the program behaves in general and in relation to Microsoft Windows. Various other settings are found here as well. These settings can be found via the main menu: File -> Preferences..."

Then under Bible View help, it says
"Set as default allows the user to set the default Bible module. The default Bible module is the module used to display verse references in tooltips when the user hovers over a hyperlinked verse reference. The active Bible module (rather than default) can be used by pressing CTRL while hovering over the reference (this logic can be reversed from the Advanced Tab of the Preferences dialog). The same option can be set from File->Preferences->Bible texts->Set as default."
And under Layouts help, it says
"Notice that global settings (such as the main window position and size, Global Preferences under the File->Preferences dialog, etc) are not included in a layout."
From this, I assume the behavior I reference above is correct. Also, looking at the data in my.lyts.twm, I don't find where the Default Bible is referenced.

What am I missing? Where do I need to go to set the Default for each layout?

TW 5.0.0.1479
Kubuntu 14.04
WINE 2.0 rc4

Thanks,
therapon
JG

Post by JG »

Of course I am wrong in what I said, global is global for the default Bible. (My mind must have been somewhere else)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

No worries! As I said before though, I think it would be a helpful enhancement to be able to set it for each layout individually.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I think this is not a good idea.
therapon

Post by therapon »

Well, here's my situation. I have a typical layout of 2 cross-linked Compare Bible views, a floating Bible view that is also the Verse Target, and 3 Book views. One of the Book views is one I use for notes that often contain verse or passage hyperlinks. The actual contents of each view is different for different layouts I have saved - different versions, commentaries, etc. For example - OT study view with LXX and more Hebrew versions; NT study view with more Greek versions, sermon preparation layouts, a school chapel layout, and a book publishing layout. Efficient use requires a different default version in each layout for viewing in hyperlink popups and especially copying.

Dozens of times a day I copy text from a hyperlink in the "notes" window. For example, I need NKJ for sermons, NIV for chapels, NET for publishing. The only way I can get what I need for viewing in a popup or copying without changing the global default is to first make the version I want the active one in the floating window, then hold the CTRL key down before hovering over the link. For copying I have to hold the CTRL key down, right-click on the hyperlink, make sure I let go of CTRL so I don't get the copy dialog window, then click Copy. It would be much more efficient if each layout had its own default Bible version. I can get what I need the way it works now but it is a royal pain and time consuming. And, it is counter-intuitive to me to have to change a global setting all the time.

Here's a suggestion: leave the File/Preferences/Bible Texts global setting the way it is. Change "Set as default" from the context menu for the buttons in a Bible view to "Set as default for this layout". Changing the default for the layout and then saving the layout sets an override for that layout only in my.lyts.twm. A line could be added to the context menu with "Reset to global default version".

I appreciate all you have done to make theWord the best software in its class. This is an enhancement that would make it even better and certainly more streamlined for my use.

therapon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Here is a suggestion:
Have your verse-target Bible view be in Compare view: thus, when you click the hyperlink in the Book view, you have the Bible view (which is in Compare view) jump there: the advantage is that in compare view, you can right-click in the column of the Bible you are interested in (or in the line, if in row mode) and copy the text from the corresponding translation. So, if you have in this Bible view all the translations you care to copy from, you are done.
Does this work?
Costas

PS: I would never thought that you would end up changing the Default Bible just so you could use the Default Bible using the CTRL key :)
therapon

Post by therapon »

Using the CTRL key allows me to get the version I need without changing the Default... if it is the version in the floating window and that window is active. My suggestion would allow right-click/copy on hyperlinks anywhere and be the desired version. No CTRL something, no extra movement around the screen, less hand and eye fatigue, etc.

Your suggestion would not work well for two reasons. First, the compare views are my main working views so I don't want them changing all the time. Second, if what I want to copy is a verse range, it takes additional mouse clicks to get the copy.

My method: right-click on the hyperlink, copy.
Your method: left click on the hyperlink, right-click on the proper version in compare view, left-click on the ending verse. Then click Back or Alt-LeftArrow to restore Compare views to the original location.

I think I've figured out the most efficient way for my usage, mileage may vary for others.

therapon