Is there any way to do this?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
LeeJames

Is there any way to do this?

Post by LeeJames »

I've created a lot of images containing my own personal notes and charts on each Bible chapter. So whenever I read a chapter, I always look at the corresponding image for that chapter, to see my notes.

What I'd love to be able to do is have a panel in TheWord which automatically displays my image for the current chapter, and it changes whenever I change chapter.

Is there any way to do this? Even if it takes a lot of time I'm prepared to do it.
jonathangkoehn

Re: Is there any way to do this?

Post by jonathangkoehn »

You could build a user commentary that is linked to each chapter and then add your images. You can even do it per verse if you so choose.
File>New User Module>Commentary
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Fantastic, that is just what I'm going to do! :) Thanks so much! :)
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

OK I've created a user commentary and started adding my images. This software is WONDERFUL! Thanks Costas!

But I have a couple of questions…

1. When I go to a chapter that I've added a commentary for, the commentary isn't automatically shown, it just says "There are no comments for Acts 13:1" and beneath that there's a link saying "Click here to see existing chapter comments on [Acts 13]". How can I make my chapter commentary always appear?

2. Also, is there any way to include HTML in the commentary? What I'd like to do is create tables that have scripture links in the cells?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings LeeJames,
--In regards to showing your content. Make sure the paperclip is enabled on your book view window so that it syncs with the Bible and that commentary is checked in the paperclip dropdown.
--In regard to linking to an html. Please see the help file under Hyperlinking (The search function should bring this up)
--The help file is in theWORD.
--Or you can also see the help file here: http://www.theword.net/manual/
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Just to add my "two cents" - hyperlinking works extremely well, as does audio. You might have to play a bit but the play is worth it. Enjoy!

Darrel
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Wow, this is all fantastic news! :) Praise YHWH, I am so happy about this!

Thank you Jonathan and Darrel! :)

What I am working on with my notes and charts is actually something quite special which I've been working on for years, led by the Holy Spirit. The Lord has shown me things about the Bible, wonderful things, that no one has ever seen before and I am planning to share it here one day - though it will be many years before I'm ready to do so. In the long term, I believe that what I am creating will become more than just a user module with notes and links, but it will fundamentally change the way TheWord works. In fact, I think it will revolutionize Bible software. And this is exclusively for Costas and his software - I think TheWord has a very special destiny, one which could well extend beyond our lifetimes.

In the mean time though, I need to continue developing what I'm doing, so it is wonderful to be able to set up an interactive user commentary! I am thrilled! Praise YHWH for this! Thank you brothers! :)
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

My friend, not meaning to to be disparaging but comments like "The Lord has shown me things about the Bible, wonderful things, that no one has ever seen before and I am planning to share it here one day" can be troubling, so you might not want to go too far down theological paths (at least within TW). There are some pretty deep folks on this forum and we do not want to discuss much theology since this is a forum regarding theWord and its usage. Bless you brother.

Darrel
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Thanks for your comment Darrel. I'm sorry to hear that you find my comment troubling. I have no intention of causing any bad feelings here, only to serve and love my brothers, and do as God called me to do.

I get the impression that you must be a cessationist - the belief that God no longer speaks to men personally, and there are no more prophets today. The doctrine of cessationism states that the Bible alone is our source of revelation. That is an interesting view, since cessationism itself is a modern doctrine, not found anywhere in the Bible, and indeed the Bible refutes it! :)

The Bible is certainly our highest authority, and no prophecy can ever contradict Scripture. But if anyone thinks that there is no more prophecy today, I recommend prayerfully considering these two Scriptures:

1 Corinthians 12
7 ​But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
8 ​for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
9 ​to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
10 ​to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
11 ​But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

1 Corinthians 2
9 ​But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.
10 ​But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
11 ​For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
12 ​Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
13 ​These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 ​But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Let me also say this about personal prophecy: I was raised in a secular soceity, in an unbelieving family. I was an ardent liberal, surrounded by many different religions and no idea if any of them were true. If the Lord Jesus had not spoken to me one evening in my bedroom, through a miraculous vision, then I would certainly not be here today and I would never have given over my life to serving Him.

God bless and have a great day! :)
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Wrong!
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

I'm sorry you feel that way. But I believe that Scripture should always come first and foremost, before the traditions of men. There are church traditions that have been passed down for centuries which are simply not found anywhere in the Bible. Examples are things like transsubstantiation, Purgatory, or praying to saints. These traditions might seem appealing, they may be taught by respected men, but we must always check everything against the Word of God to see if it is true. I believe every man should carefully weigh cessationism against the Scripture, guided by prayer, and come to his own conclusion.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that cessationists don't base their view on the Bible, but upon a combination of tradition and personal experience. They then attempt to work that view back into the Bible. So they start from outside the Bible and work backwards, which is the wrong direction. The most popular verse used to back up this view is in 1 Corinthians 13 which speaks about partial prophecy coming to an end… when we meet the Lord "face to face". I do not believe we have met Him face to face just yet LOL :)
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

What I meant was your evaluation of me - you are wrong.
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Ah, LOL in that case I'm sorry to waffle on! :) I have a habit of doing that!

I also should clarify that the project I am working on is not theological. It's very hard to describe, but I am basically creating a kind of "reference resource" that greatly helps one to read and learn the contents of the Bible. It does not make assertions of its own, but opens up the Bible text to be understood in a new way, and there's a visual element to it. It is totally unlike anything that's ever come before, but I think it is wonderful.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Let's just keep the forum focused on things pertaining to theWord and leave other stuff out and we're good-to-go.
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

No problem. And I am all in favor of keeping things orderly. On the other hand, it isn't always healthy to try to put too many rules on how the Spirit may speak or minister among His people. I've visited churches where they don't allow free speech during the meetings and I do not believe it is healthy. If we are all spiritual men here then the Holy Spirit will surely lead us as He sees fit.