List of Proper Names and places in KJV/AKJV with variants

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
RevSteve

List of Proper Names and places in KJV/AKJV with variants

Post by RevSteve »

I am looking for this list of Proper names and places in English with their variants..especially for the Old Testament since that is where most of these occur rendered by KJV or AKJV...which should be the same.

I realize it is an outside chance to find this neatly but still, I thought I would ask.

The only people that I can think of that might have such a list would be a translator or someone who does work on advanced language (including English) modules.

If it makes any difference, I only make modules for myself and have the desire to release module(s) for free distribution.
I have absolutely no intentions of payware or any kind of promotion and would rather not even put a copyright on anything I produce.

If anyone knows where I can find this or perhaps knows who I might could contact concerning this, send me a Private Message or reply here.
JG

Re: List of Proper Names and places in KJV/AKJV with variant

Post by JG »

Hitchcock's Bible Names.
This is a download from within theWord.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

First of all, JG, thanks for your thoughtful reply...believe me, anytime someone wants to help with a reply, I take notice and am thankful.

I started my current project...a good while back and have made progress then I ran into the proper nouns of the bible.
I have this project in 2 parts, Old Testament and New Testament...chiefly due to the proper nouns.

The New Testament part is fairly much complete.

Old Testament is a different situation however and I will give some examples below.
Before I started this, I had not thought about proper name variants but started seeing them as I slowly worked through them.
The best source of proper nouns I believe (public domain) is A dictionary Of Proper Names by J.B. Jackson.
I think he has a count of ~160 names that have variants but I don't know if his list is exhaustive.
He identifies these in his dictionary with the term "same as".
Here is an example of a Latin name with 2 possible renderings in AKJV:
Latin: Duhel
English: Deuel, Reuel
This variant entry isn't listed in his dictionary but he does have them listed separately.

Here are a few examples that are in his book (all English, no Latin):
Henoch-same as Enoch and Hanoch
Hizkiah-same as Hezekiah
Jethro-same as Jether
Ituraea-same as Jetur
Jeremy-same as Jeromias
Jesui-same as Ishui, Ishuai, Isui

It would take countless hours running every name reference in Old Testament, looking for possible variants.

My thought at this point is only show the one or two renderings that I found and leave my work as it is.
I had no clue some names have variants...never heard or thought about variants before I started this project.

To this date, I haven't found anything on Internet that has these variants...other than Jackson's work.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

RevSteve wrote:I am looking for this list of Proper names and places in English with their variants..especially for the Old Testament since that is where most of these occur rendered by KJV or AKJV...which should be the same.
I don't know about the variants, but you can get an exhaustive list of proper names and places from Strong's dictionary.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I wonder if these variants are due to the suffixes that Greek and Hebrew have which we don't tend to have in English.
For example: Christos, Christou in Greek both are Christ one is nominative and the other genitive. Perhaps at time translators were at a loss how to best handle a Proper name. There are times that it may even be best to render what appears as a proper name as a regular noun based on the proper names meaning.

Thank you for doing all this work RevSteve it is interesting what you are learning.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I don't think I will be able to find this list with their variants so I have made the decision to only use what I have.
I will add this beside the AKJV rendering "(English, could be other variant words or spellings)".

Jonathan, I am not an expert concerning the renderings in English but (and a thick book could be written in this regard)
we are looking back in history, also the English language spellings was perhaps still not set in concrete.
We are dealing with 4 languages, Hebrew, Greek, Latin and English.
As best I remember, most of our English names of the books of the bible(OT)....are from the Septuagint.
Probably, most proper names are highly influenced by Septuagint.
The "Old Latin" manuscripts mostly followed the Septuagint...therefore Jerome's revision likely kept Old Latin renderings for proper nouns.
Many of the words that I copied from AKJV were exact spellings of the Latin or slightly modified Latin words.
Even some of the more heavily modified words...I could tell it was still from the Latin Translation.

Renderings of proper nouns from one language to another generally is called transliteration.
This is a science (plus Art) in itself.

And briefly, Latin has had a profound influence even in our present world with about 40 present days languages descended from it.
Even English, both directly and indirectly has been profoundly influenced, borrowing many, many words from Latin.
Also, the Vulgate did have an influence on the early English Translations...something most people do not know.

Latin is considered kin to Greek...one can see the differences for sure but in some ways, one can see some things in common.

Sorry for the sidetrack...
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thanks for the info! It may even be interesting to include some of that in the about info of the module.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2