[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Better in VirtualBox or Wine when running Linux? 

Post Re: Better in VirtualBox or Wine when running Linux?
Jeff wrote:
Wine is quick and easy to install on MX Linux from the package manager. Use the test repo for the latest version

Jeff,

Confused here a bit (new to Linux and all).

First, what is the test repo and where is it?

Second, if you install Wine through the package manager, do you still use the test repo?

I've completely uninstalled Wine from my Linux Mint 19.1 box; I had a horrible time trying to get it to install, so I'm starting over for the learning experience. So, with the first two questions above, I'm wondering the best course to follow for reinstalling it.

Thanks.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 pm

Keith,
Just go to winehq.org and install 4.1 from there. It takes 4 steps and you're all done. But it's your choice.

Darrel

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 pm
Profile WWW

Starkman wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Wine is quick and easy to install on MX Linux from the package manager. Use the test repo for the latest version

Jeff,

Confused here a bit (new to Linux and all).

First, what is the test repo and where is it?

Second, if you install Wine through the package manager, do you still use the test repo?

I've completely uninstalled Wine from my Linux Mint 19.1 box; I had a horrible time trying to get it to install, so I'm starting over for the learning experience. So, with the first two questions above, I'm wondering the best course to follow for reinstalling it.

Thanks.

MX Linux, like other distros, has its own Package Installer ("MX Package Installer") from the program menu. If you install it from the MX package installer it is packaged and tested specifically for MX. So if you do install MX, you can easily install Wine from either the Popular Applications tab (just type "wine" in the search box), which I believe is the same as Winehq-staging from the Stable Repo tab, or you can install Winehq-Staging from the MX Test Repo tab if you really want the latest version (4.5). So the test repo is just part of the MX Installer.

The stable version works fine for me. When I tried Mint about a year ago, I had to download it from Wine HQ, if I recall, because Mint had a really old version with terrible fonts, and it seemed to me to be more involved than Darrel says it is now, but then I was new to Linux and probably didn't know what I was doing.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have more questions.

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 am

Jeff.

In Mint 19.1, a wine search in the Software Center shows PlayonLinux, Q4Winfe, Winetricks, Wine 1.6, shiki-wine-theme, Wine-staging, and a few other odd-ball listings, including wine-stable, which, before I removed it, showed several rating stars; this one has no stars.

The Synaptic Package Manager has several hits for wine but nothing seemingly designated as a main package to download. (When I removed it, i cleared it out with purge, autoclean, autoremove, etc.)

Neither the Synaptic nor the Software Manager has a Repo tab.

I'm thinking it might be best to try installing it from the command line or go to the main site and do so from there,

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:47 am

Hey Keith,
I am gonna bow out of these discussions and let you work with the other folks. Too many irons in the fire doesn't work too well. Have a great day!

Darrel

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:52 am
Profile WWW

Starkman wrote:
Jeff.

In Mint 19.1, a wine search in the Software Center shows PlayonLinux, Q4Winfe, Winetricks, Wine 1.6, shiki-wine-theme, Wine-staging, and a few other odd-ball listings, including wine-stable, which, before I removed it, showed several rating stars; this one has no stars.

The Synaptic Package Manager has several hits for wine but nothing seemingly designated as a main package to download. (When I removed it, i cleared it out with purge, autoclean, autoremove, etc.)

Neither the Synaptic nor the Software Manager has a Repo tab.

I'm thinking it might be best to try installing it from the command line or go to the main site and do so from there,

Software managers and available repos are different for the different distros. Sorry if I confused things by throwing in MX, I just meant to give my experience for anyone who might be interested in MX, or if other distros are similar. (Personally I have had a little better experience with MX than Mint.)

It would help if they gave version numbers for Wine-staging and Wine-stable, but my best guess is to either try Wine-staging or go to the main site as Darrel suggests. I wouldn't use 1.6, I think that's the version they had over a year ago that was already old with bad fonts. I tend to use the package manager first because I expect the developers to include all the dependencies needed for the distro, but if you already tried it, then maybe trying from the site is best.

What problems did you have installing Wine?

As I recall, once Wine is installed, you have to set up Windows exe files to open with Wine, I think you can just do that by right clicking on the exe file and choosing to open with the Wine program loader, and then it should remember your choice for those type of programs.

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 am

You can find instructions here https://www.tecmint.com/install-wine-on-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/ for installing WINE on Mint. Version 1.8 is way old (from 2016 I believe), 4.0 is the latest stable release.

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:52 pm

@DarellW
@Jeff

I had to buy Crossover because I needed tot run Microsoft Excel with macros on Ubuntu. That did not work well with Wine. I paid 19 dollars for Crossover. There was a 50% discount at the time.

I can´t really say to much about the comparisson. I just use it for Microsoft Excel (with macros), Word, and TheWord.

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2