Verse Reference Toolbar error

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
DavidHuffmanTX

Verse Reference Toolbar error

Post by DavidHuffmanTX »

Costas:

Occasionally (and difficult to predict when) an error occurs when attempting to directly select a new verse from the popup menu in the Verse Reference Toolbar. So far it has only happened when the Verse Reference Toolbar is at the extreme right side of the screen, and the book I want to drill down into is also at the extreme right-hand edge of the book list; then the chapter-level sub-menu pops up on the opposite side of the list, near the beginning of the book list as shown below:
ScreenShot.png
ScreenShot.png (56.67 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
If I move the Verse Reference Toolbar to the left far enough to allow room for the chapter list sub-menu, it works fine.
ScreenShot2.png
ScreenShot2.png (58.44 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
BTW, why is a yin-yang symbol being used for a "please wait" icon in the forum rather than an hour glass?

Thanks; David
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Verse Reference Toolbar error

Post by csterg »

Hi David,
unfortunately there is no easy fix for this. The reason is that the position of the sub-menu is decided by windows: and windows decides that the popup should not be over the parent menu...
But from the screenshot i noticed that when using big fonts, the menus collapse with one-another, so i fixed this.

Concerning the wait symbol: not sure what you refer to, explain pls
Costas
DavidHuffmanTX

Post by DavidHuffmanTX »

Thanks. Now whenever the sub-menu pops up on the other side, I just cancel and move the toolbar left a few pixels.

By "wait symbol," I meant the cursor icon that symbolizes "Busy - please wait."
Yin Yang.png
Yin Yang.png (22.84 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
It usually defaults to an hour glass in most environments, but when I uploaded the images for my initial post, the cursor turned to a rotating yin-yang or Tajitu symbol, which implies more than simply "wait."
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

i think this is a windows issue, not related to the forum, maybe your browser?
Costas
Gert-Jan

Post by Gert-Jan »

csterg wrote:i think this is a windows issue, not related to the forum, maybe your browser?
Costas
Hi Costas,

It's an image from the forum software/style, and not the cursor.
styles/serenity/imageset/upload_bar.gif
Please try to add an attachment to a post and click 'Add the file'. If your internet connection is slow enough :D , you will notice the symbol.

Gert-Jan
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

ok, i never noticed...
rcx

Post by rcx »

I always see the issue noted in the first post, not just on sporadic occasions. However, I have observed that this could possibly be due to running theWord on a Tablet PC.

Under Start > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Tablet PC Settings > Other, I have the Handedness property set to "Right-handed: menus appear to the left of your hand." When using a digitizer pen with a Tablet PC, this setting pops sub-menus to the left of the parent menu. Thus, for a right-handed user, submenus will not be rendered underneath the user's hand (where they would be obstructed from view).

Unlike the original poster, though, this problem happens in every column of books--regardless of whether the selected book of the Bible is in the first column or the last column, all the menus pop all the way to the left of the Bible book menu (as shown in the screenshot).

As an example, Judges, Isaiah, Malachi, I Corinthians, and I John all display their respective chapter menus to the left of the Bible book menu. This means that for any Bible book column except the very left-most column, the Bible book menu is unusable, as the chapter sub-menu disappears as soon as the mouse crosses over to the next Bible book column to the left.

If I happen to use theWord on a non-Tablet PC computer, the chapter sub-menu pops over the Bible books in the next column to the right, as would be expected for this type of submenu.

A heartfelt thank you for the efforts that have been poured into the creation of this software.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you for the follow up and explanation; i have no idea that TabletPCs have such a setting.
I should probably consider replacing this menu given all the different issues that far
Costas
rcx

Post by rcx »

According to the Microsoft Answers forum, the Tablet PC settings dialogs can be accessed under Windows 7 on non-Tablet PC's by performing the following:
  • Press the Windows Logo Key + R to bring up the Run dialog
  • Type in or copy/paste the following in to the Open text box

Code: Select all

shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}
Then, navigate to the "Other" tab and follow the same steps as above. I can confirm that this works on a Tablet PC; however, I do not have a non-Tablet PC running Windows 7, so I am unable to personally confirm that this works on all Windows 7 flavors. Windows XP Tablet PC Edition has a similar setting, but under XP, Tablet PC was a separate installation disc.

I really like the concept of how this menu works, especially as it avoids a long, single-column list. If I knew of another program that had a multi-column menu with pop-out sub-menus, I'd give it a try to see how those menus behaved. As long as the sub-menu pops to the right, everything seems to be okay and the sub-menu renders adjacent to the current item; however, whenever it gets popped to the left (either because of the Tablet PC setting or the lack of additional screen space on the right), it doesn't put it to the left of the current item but to the left of the menu as a whole.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

as long as i use system menus to implement this, i cannot really control the position of the popups. If i change the implementation to use custom popups (e.g. non system popups) i will be able to control this,
Costas
skaravanic

Post by skaravanic »

this is very aggravating on windows 8, which I just purchased. Found I had to move the verse reference so far over to make it work. Now I can get it on the right side, but IMO placing the verse reference so far to the right to make it work is not really convenient. I wish there was a way you could make it work back where it used to be. Otherwise, not only is it way over on the left side, but closes before you can get to it half the time or wants to open a different verse. Thank you for telling us how to do the temporary fix. Hoping this can be somehow corrected to override their "tablet function". I can not figure how to disable this tablet function. Thank you again for everything you do, Costas. Fixed my daughter in laws folks up with The Word in Greek, and my neighbor has asked me to help her with a Spanish version.
skaravanic
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

thanks you for bringing to my attention the win8 issue. Will try to see what can be done.
Costas