oddity with automatic detection

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
JG

Re: oddity with automatic detection

Post by JG »

blcjr wrote:
csterg wrote:The problem here is the space in "1 Cor"...
Costas
Got it. I figured it was something in the string that I wasn't seeing. Except for the rare case like that, the latest beta is almost always handing the verse chapter pairs separated with commas much better than earlier versions. Now I only need to replace commas with semi-colons when a chapter is followed by multiple verses. The new build has really helped with the current project, which must have thousands of scripture references separated by commas rather than semi-colons.

As an aside, I just noted that TW will parse "Jon." as either John or Jonah, defaulting to John. The commentary I'm working on uses "Jn." for John, and "Jon." for Jonah. While you cannot anticipate all the different ways authors will abbreviate books of the Bible, it would seem to me that "Jon." would be more likely for Jonah, than for John. I like the way TW tries to be as flexible and comprehensive as possible, but here I would think Jonah ought to be the default.

Basil

Hi Basil, version=3.2.1.1308-118 of the english.lng detects this correctly doesn't it?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

blcjr wrote:
csterg wrote: As an aside, I just noted that TW will parse "Jon." as either John or Jonah, defaulting to John.
Can you send me an example pls? Also what language are you using?
Jon 1.1 should always be parsed as Jonah
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Doctordavet wrote:could the user edit the abbreviation table for detecting references?
The english.lng file contains the patterns (look for Search.Patterns).
There is documentation in the Bible module spec on how these patterns work
Costas
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

csterg wrote:
Doctordavet wrote:could the user edit the abbreviation table for detecting references?
The english.lng file contains the patterns (look for Search.Patterns).
There is documentation in the Bible module spec on how these patterns work
Costas
Thanks for the info. I will read it. The more I understand, the better.

I seem to have misspoken. I am talking about the hypertext dialog, where you enter "Jon" in the field for a scripture text reference. When you enter "Jo" it lists all the Bible book names that start with "Jo." When when you add the "n" for "Jon" it lists "John, Jonah" in that order. Perhaps it shouldn't list "John" at all? But, if that is intentional, I would still think that it should list it as "Jonah, John."
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, it is intentional that it lists John also.
The order there is (probably) due to popularity (e.g. more people would want John to come first)
Costas
x×bsw

Post by x×bsw »

Or maybe you could use a heurisitic method to
find candidate false-negatives or buigs/glitches quirks
instead of manually searching for these bugs

also you could profile/count statistics to help find them and help improve detection
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:Yes, it is intentional that it lists John also.
The order there is (probably) due to popularity (e.g. more people would want John to come first)
Costas
in f4 Bible ref entry box, I type "jn" and I get "Jonah 1:1" followed by "John 1:1". 99% of the time this is a complete waste of time to arrow down to John 1.1. Similarly, typing "joh" gives me the option of "John 1:1", "Joshua 1:1", or Jonah 1:1". Is "joh" really an abbreviation for Joshua and Jonah?

I tried the suggestions above but either I don't understand them (likely) or they don't do what I want.

How can I eliminate Jonah from showing up when I type "jn" in the f4 Bible ref entry box? I'd like to restrict "jn" to be an abbreviation for "John" and nothing else. That's the way it works in Logos 5 and in WORDsearch 10. If I want Jonah or Joshua it is not a big hassle to type them.

Thanks for any help you can give to make this great program work even better for me.
JG

Post by JG »

In the english.lng file add the text indicated bold, see if that works.

John|43
Jn|43
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:In the english.lng file add the text indicated bold, see if that works.

John|43
Jn|43
Nope. "jn" still brings up Jonah and John (in that order, same as before).
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Did you add that in the [Search.Patterns] section?
What is the interface language in tw?

If all is ok, this works properly (and i added that in the main english.lng file because it does make sense)
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:Did you add that in the [Search.Patterns] section?
What is the interface language in tw?

If all is ok, this works properly (and i added that in the main english.lng file because it does make sense)
Costas
Yes. Added in [Search.Patterns] section in english.lng (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word). I copied the contents from the appropriate place and pasted here:
  • John|43
    Jn|43
Interface language looks to be English -- is there a setting I need to check to make sure that is set correctly?

One curious point, however -- when looking at the file in windows explorer, the modified date always stays the same: 11/24/2012. But when I open it in my text editor (NoteTab Pro) my changes are there.

My edited copy gets saved to C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\The Word. I was able to copy that file and paste it into C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word but that does not help the matter -- I still get Jonah and John when typing "jn" into the entry box.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is a windows feature :) You need to be an administrator. In reality you don't edit the file that theWord is seeing but a copy of it... Windows Magic
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:This is a windows feature :) You need to be an administrator. In reality you don't edit the file that theWord is seeing but a copy of it... Windows Magic
Costas
But I was able to copy/paste the 7/30/2014 english.lng into C:\Program Files (x86)\The Word. Isn't that where it is supposed to be? When I open the file from that location it has my changes. But TW still shows both Jonah and John when I type "jn".

I've enountered windows magic before but I thought I'd dealt with it this time.
JG

Post by JG »

Is John the first item. If so it is fixed for you isn't it?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:Is John the first item. If so it is fixed for you isn't it?
Yes, John is the first item. So it is fixed. Thanks.