Copy to MS Word 1362>

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
John45

Copy to MS Word 1362>

Post by John45 »

I discovered that beginning with v4.0.0.1362 when I copy a verse range to MS Word and then apply my style to it, the bolded characters become unbolded. This does not happen with single verse copies. I checked v4.0.0.0.1397 and see it has the same issue, but v4.0.0.1361 does not. Any ideas?

John
John
JG

Re: Copy to MS Word 1362>

Post by JG »

See the changelog
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Is this a bug?
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

I do not believe this is a bug. When a style is added to text in Word, that style and all of its attributes overwrites the text. Except if you use a List Paragraph style.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
John45

Post by John45 »

Neither of these responses help.

I have reviewed the change log file and see no reference to this issue. I review the change log each time I download a new update.

If this is normal behavior, why does it not also strip out the italic character formatting and why did it not show up until v4.0.0.1632?

As far as I am concerned, this is still an issue which needs to be addressed.

John
John
John45

Post by John45 »

Didn't see the CSterg response.

I think it is a bug, since the program didn't interface with Word this way before v4.0.0.1362.

John
John
JG

Post by JG »

The part of the changelog was this

THIS should be considered a TEST-ONLY build!
- [new]: upgraded viewer/editor to newer version (RichView version 14). Several changes/updates due to the new renderer as well as things that need to be tested:
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
John45

Post by John45 »

Jon,

Thanks for your reply. As a TEST ONLY build, I assume Costas is asking the users to use it and let him know of any issues they discover. This is what I have done.

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

John,
I still cannot repeat this issue. can you paste a screenshot?
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

In MS if you right click on the style and choose modify on the style and see "default" as part of the style, that style will not replace the default character format of the text. It will retain the default character settings of the copied text but will add the other formatting included in the specific style. This is not a bug. Microsoft Word is doing what it is being asked to do. If you would like to remove ALL formatting from the text, click "modify" and make the style the way you would like the text to look.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
John45

Post by John45 »

As far as working with MS Word and styles are concerned, I have used Word since before it became a windows program and have not had this problem. In my experience, when I apply a style to a block of text it does not strip out the character formatting, which is the issue here.

Today I did some more testing and discovered something which I had forgotten about. Sometimes after copying a range of verses from tW to Word, when I apply the style, the bold verse numbers and reference lose their boldness, so I have to select each and make them bold. This does not happen very often. Such is the case here. The passage I was copying was Eph 6:10-18 from the KJV module. I discovered if I copied it from v4.0.0.1361, the numbers and reference retained their bold, but if I copied it from a later version it did not retain the bold. Today I tried the same thing using different passages and the bold remained, regardless which version I was using to copy from. So, I returned to the Eph 6 passage and copied each verse separately from v4.0.0.1370 and the bold remained after applying the style. I tried it again with Eph 6:10-11 and the bold went away after applying the style.

By the way I have the No verse reference (Step 4) checked in the Advanced options of the Verse copy dialog.

This may be a difficult problem to solve and I don't wish to add to your workload, Costas. It is important to me, however, so any help you can give is appreciated.

John
John
JG

Post by JG »

Do you get a different result if you use Eph 6:11-18 (not starting at a paragraph boundary)
or Eph 6:19-14 (starts at a paragraph boundary)

This might indicate a problem with the new renderer at these points.

Do you use a predefined copy format?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks for the possibilities, Jon.

I tried a couple of things. If I copy Eph 6:9-11 and then apply the style, I lose the bold. If I copy Eph 6:8-11 and then apply the style, I don't lose the bold; same with Eph 6:8-10. However, if I copy Eph 6:18-20 or 19-20 and then apply the style, I don't lose the bold. Perhaps it is not a paragraph boundary issue, but something else that happens to associated with Eph 6:10.

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

this whole behavior is so strange that i really don't know if it is worth to investigate, given all the different open issues and combinations of behaviors between the 2 programs.
I say we put this to rest
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Are you in paragraph mode.
What paragraphs are you using?(default)
What predefined copy format do you use?
Version of Word?
Do you get the same behaviour with other official theWord Bibles.

I think it will give Costas more info if you can answer these.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software