Clipboard activity - repeated pasting(?)

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
delaing

Clipboard activity - repeated pasting(?)

Post by delaing »

Wasn't sure how best to title this post.
You're going to think I'm crazy bonkers with this, but here goes.

I use a text editor called NoteTab and its primary utility on my PC is as a clipboard history 'monitor' called a "pasteboard" document. As I work, NoteTab will capture and append all text sent to the Clipboard. Then I can call it up (out of the Tray) and find & reuse text from early in my work session.

Lately, I've been noticing that something I've copied to the clipboard - once - is being copied back onto the "pasteboard" document repeatedly during a time. I'll copy something, continue working, then call up NoteTab, and the text I copied earlier will be shown many times as if it is being deliberately pasted back into the pasteboard. Wasn't sure exactly when this started, but recently got a second monitor and had NoteTab up on one while sending you (Costas) another forum posting. The screen on my right flickered enough to catch my attention to look over and see a text string pasted into the Notetab pasteboard all by itself. So, I sat and stared at the screen and watched it do it over and over without any interaction from me.

Just to test things out, I terminated TW, which had been sitting in the Tray.
Result?
No pasting onto the pasteboard!
Started TW again. Sat and watched the pasteboard, and the pasting started up again. Set a timer and it is occurring every 30 seconds on the nose.
repeated pasting.jpg
repeated pasting.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
As they say in Swahili - "What's up with that??!!!"

Sorry for the short story, but felt like I needed to lay it out so it would be clear as dirt mixed with water.

Thoughts?
Thank you,
Delain
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Clipboard activity - repeated pasting(?)

Post by csterg »

Short answer: i have no idea!
Longer answer: although theWord seems to be the issue, it does not mean that it does something wrong.
Let me explain: NoteTab obviously monitors the clipboard (as theWord does) and tries to see when something changes in order to get the new content: in general, theWord does not pull the clipboard for new content, it just get's notified by windows. I am not really sure how NoteTab works but it does thing that something changed there and that there is a new copy operation that it needs to append...
Not sure i should consider this a bug.
Try to disable clipboard monitor if you don't need it
Costas
delaing

Post by delaing »

I had a feeling this would be a stumper. Been using NoteTab for at least eight years and never seen this behavior.
This happens no matter whether clipboard monitoring is dis/enabled.
Oh well, store it in mind; maybe a solution will appear.
Thank you,
Delain
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Seems strange that this problem also occurs if CM is disabled.
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I can tell that there is no '30 seconds timer' in theWord that does something for sure.... So it does sound strange that something seems to be repeated every 30 seconds
Costas
delaing

Post by delaing »

This appears to be one of those situations like taking your car to the mechanic to have him fix the hiccup in your acceleration that only happens when you're driving. He takes it out driving, lets it idle all day long in the shop, and nothing; no hiccup. What'ya do?

It's not happening at the moment and I cannot deduce what might have changed with my setup on my system that would've affected this.
So, I will watch and see and report if I can get a better read on this.

Thanks for your attention to this.
Thank you,
Delain
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This happens very often, yes!
delaing

Post by delaing »

Sorry, Costas, but is that a question?
If so, often enough to make me wonder why and also wonder about the use of processing resources by whatever is causing the repeated pasting.
It started back up again yesterday, but could not deduce what triggered it.
I do know for certain that it does NOT occur with TW exited/off/shutdown.

I like to keep TW available in the Tray so if I catch a few moments I can read a bit.

I will let you know if I can better recreate the scenario for this.
Thank you,
Delain
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I just meant that with computers, it is very often the case that things do not work at some point, and then go back to normal without us being able to understand why :)
Costas
TedSmith

Post by TedSmith »

I am brand new to theWord, and am still trying to figure it out. At this point I still feel lost.

Probably the first thing I noticed was that my specialty Clipboard capture and storage program (Clip Mate) went haywire as long as theWord was loaded, and became normal again once theWord was closed. I noticed two abnormalities (so far). First, Climate began sounding an error alarm (something between a "boing" and a "twang") at exact 30 second intervals. I usually resolved this by turning the volume off even though that was a sorry solution. The second anomaly was that any stored clip that I might be reading at the time would suddenly disappear after around 20 seconds. So I would have to find it again and click on it to continue to read it. Then it would disappear again after about 20 seconds. At this point the two problems don't seem to be related except that they go away once I shut theWord down.

I thought this might be a unique problem that I could report and get a resolution for. But I see that it is an old and ongoing problem that doesn't seem to have a resolution, so I think I will just uninstall theWord for now and try it again in a year or so - maybe. It's sad though because it sure looked like a good program when I first installed it.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

TedSmith wrote:I am brand new to theWord, and am still trying to figure it out. At this point I still feel lost.

Probably the first thing I noticed was that my specialty Clipboard capture and storage program (Clip Mate) went haywire as long as theWord was loaded, and became normal again once theWord was closed. I noticed two abnormalities (so far). First, Climate began sounding an error alarm (something between a "boing" and a "twang") at exact 30 second intervals. I usually resolved this by turning the volume off even though that was a sorry solution. The second anomaly was that any stored clip that I might be reading at the time would suddenly disappear after around 20 seconds. So I would have to find it again and click on it to continue to read it. Then it would disappear again after about 20 seconds. At this point the two problems don't seem to be related except that they go away once I shut theWord down.

I thought this might be a unique problem that I could report and get a resolution for. But I see that it is an old and ongoing problem that doesn't seem to have a resolution, so I think I will just uninstall theWord for now and try it again in a year or so - maybe. It's sad though because it sure looked like a good program when I first installed it.
Hello TedSmith and welcome.
I really don't like to say so, but hear me out: since this is the second time this is reported, i went ahead and installed Clip Mate to see what is going on. So, this is what happens:

In order for theWord to monitor the Clipboard (as Clip Mate) does, it registers itself with Windows that it wants to receive notifications every time the content of the clipboard changes (this is a standard technique). theWord refreshes this registrations every 30 seconds (something legitimate). Unfortunately, Clip Mate makes this annoying 'boing' sound every time this happens... You can disable this sounds if you go to Tools->Options->Sounds->Clipboard Data Ignored/Rejects/Off (i am referring to the ClipMate interface now, not theWord's).

Now, having found that, and because this is the second such program that seems to have this issue (altough it is not theWord's fault), I went ahead and made some changes to the code of theWord to try to be a little more compatible with such programs. If you want to get the updated version of theWord that should work better get it from the beta section (http://theword.net/files/beta). The changelog there has all the changes that detail how it will work better with such programs (and hopefully the authors of these programs will fix their own apps respectively).

Costas

PS: It's a shame that given the hundreds of thousands of lines of codes in theWord, you end up not using it because a couple of lines of code in it make it not 'play nice' along a 3rd line app that does not behave well ... it's not a complaint just an observation of how software development works :shock: - anyway thanks for sharing this here.
TedSmith

Post by TedSmith »

Well, I thank you very much for your message, and the new tweek in the software. When I downloaded theword-4.0.0.1384.exe I noticed that it was only about 13MB in size, while the original installation file I had downloaded was about 50MB. Am I supposed to install the update over the top of my current installation, or do I uninstall my current version and install the 13MB program?

And, I agree with your "It's a shame" comments, but ClipMate has been the most useful computer tool I have ever had. It has helped me do many, many Bible studies and lots of research in a multitude of different areas. I have many gigabytes of information stored and immediately searchable within the folders contained within it. In short, I would sacrifice any other program I own before I would let go of it.

I am looking forward to getting to "know" theWord software program.
JG

Post by JG »

Make sure you have theWord closed down.
Then you just need to delete the theWord.exe file and replace it with the beta file (rename that to theWord.exe). Also replace the english.lng file.

You should be good to go.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet