NKJV mistake - questionable

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
rdwray

NKJV mistake - questionable

Post by rdwray »

Zech 10:2 For the idols speak delusion; The diviners envision lies, And tell false dreams; They comfort in vain. Therefore [the people] wend their way like sheep; They are in trouble because [there is] no shepherd.

May be the author didn't like "went" and wanted indicate moving through a herd. At any rate, it is changed from the KJV and is not referenced as such in Strong's.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
mathetes

Re: NKJV mistake - questionable

Post by mathetes »

That's how my hard-copy of the NKJV reads, so the module is correct.
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

The issue I came up with is not with the module as supplied by TW, but that it does not fit the Hebrew interpretation by Strong's as provided by Thomas Nelson.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

It's not TW's responsibility to "correct" translations or dictionaries.

As a side note, I show that it is Strong's # H5265 and in looking at the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament it looks like a very reasonable translation for the OT word it was translated from. Adam Clarke makes the comment "They were like a flock that had no shepherd, shifting from place to place, and wandering about in the wilderness, seeking for pasture, wherever they might find it."
WJSwanepoel

Post by WJSwanepoel »

Hi,
To "wend one's way" is in fact well known English! It means to pursue or directs one's way or to proceed.

Regards,
Willem
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

The words are similar, but they are not the same.

Verb: wend
Direct ones course or way

Went (Mickelson):
H5265 נָסַע naca` (naw-sah') v.
1. (properly) to pull up, especially the tent-pins, i.e. start on a journey
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Costas can't change a module to something different than the original document it's based on has.

The Strong's dictionary is a very limited dictionary and shouldn't be relied on for in-depth word studies. Even though it's definitions may be fundamentally correct, it usually doesn't give the nuances or context for how that word is to be understood in specific situations.

There are Hebraisms and idioms that sometimes can't be understood based on strict definitions given in a dictionary without taking the meaning in context of the total phrase (or verse or paragraph). I think Adam Clarke explained this one pretty well. Some other translations use "wander". The TWOT also gives a good discussion on the word and you should be able to see how "wend" or "wander" fits with the base definition of pulling up tent pengs.
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

I would suggest caution in using Strong's as an authoritative test of the accuracy of any translation. It supports the KJV translation only because it is derived from the KJV translation. That is, Strong's source is the KJV. That the KJV matches Strong's is no surprise. :-)