"Please, select a topic to display..."

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

"Please, select a topic to display..."

Post by ErikJon »

Recently I created my own module, as a "general book" module. It is simply a long list of data in table format, copied from an RTF file. I was hoping to open this module almost instantly, every morning that I started up TheWord, to use it as a guide as I did my reading. However, as I go to select the item in the menu of the bookview window, to my surprise, I am greeted with "Please, select a topic to display..." I say to myself, "There is only one topic as it is, so, why should I have to select anything?"

The strange thing is that this problem occurs ONLY at the beginning of each session. Apparently, if I click on the message the first time during the session, TheWord grants me a magical blessing, and no longer requires me to read that message nor click anything for the remainder of the session, even if I go back and forth to other modules within the same windows. If it were an important feature, it seems that it would appear every time; if not, then why does it appear at all?

Honestly this is another frustration that I face with my "Daily Bible Reading" module, also (or whatever the module is properly called). The only feature that I use in that module is the "list view" of all chapters of the Bible. I would like to go immediately to the last check-box that I selected, in list view, whenever opening that module, but TW will not allow that, on the first use in each session. I am instead required to go through several screens in order to get there: (1) "Please, select a topic to display.. Click here to see a list of topics for module..." I click, but I am greeted with (2) three additional options: "Calendar view, List view, Stats & Actions". I select the only item that I ever use, namely, list view, but (3) the window opens to Genesis, rather than to the Book of Acts, so I have to scroll down, usually overshoot the Book of Acts a bit, and then go back up, till I find my chapter. (None of the bookview windows seem to scroll automatically to the last-used position, but I wish that it did)

My simple suggestion is that you somehow allow the user to bypass these messages and to go directly to the content.

To be honest, no matter which module I open, I would always prefer to be greeted with the title page, or else with any random part of the content, than with the messages "Please, select a topic to display..." etc. It seems rather obvious (to an experienced user) that I could open the index tree, if I really wanted to, or else type in a key word to search. After all, I will usually have to do one or the other anyway. It seems to me that this feature may be helpful to newer users, but to the rest of us, I suppose bothersome. By the same token, if I were to take from my bookshelf, in my office, a Bible dictionary, and open it to any place at random, and were to find inside nothing at all except the message "Please select an article in this dictionary to read" I would find it to be not only unnecessary but insulting.

Thanks again for the program. I hope that my observations are helpful.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.