Problems with input boxes (fields)

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Problems with input boxes (fields)

Post by ErikJon »

When I am in a bookview window, and click CTRL+F, the "find" window appears. I begin typing my search term, and nothing happens. Then, I realize that it is because the input field is not always active when the "find" window is invoked. Instead, I have to grab the mouse, click into the input field, and then begin typing. I believe that I have noticed this issue with certain other dialog boxes in TheWord, but I do not have a list handy.

Upon re-checking this issue, I think I discovered that the issue concerns whether the "find" window has recently been used, especially on the same module, because in that case it tends to become active, whereas, when starting with a fresh module, it is inactive.

Of course, my suggestion is simply that you make all such input fields active whenever they are invoked, as a simple matter of convenience, if it is not much trouble on your part. However, I think it would be even better, if the input field were not only active, but if the word inside the input field were automatically highlighted, whenever the "find" window was invoked. That way I could simply begin typing, without having to first delete what is in the field. This indeed seems to be an issue with several different types of search windows in TheWord.

While I am on the subject, I don't know if you have noticed, but the most frustrating issue with input fields is the "verse reference" input field. When I type in a Bible reference in the toolbar at the top of the screen, TW pulls up the passage referred to correctly, but then I click into the Bible view window, and try to use my arrow keys to scroll up and down, or the previous chapter or following, and TW will not let me leave the verse-reference field; instead, it responds as if the arrow keys were to select some part of the reference already typed into that field! In order to escape from this trap, I have to manually scroll up and down with the mouse and wheel, to release TWs control over the highlighted verse reference in the toolbar! The bad part is that this problem does not always occur in a predictable fashion, so I am afraid that I cannot repeat the problem at the moment, to give you the steps needed to reproduce it yourself.

Anyway, thanks again for your fine program.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Problems with input boxes (fields)

Post by JG »

I notice you are using build 1340? The current release build is 1342.
There was a fix for the find dialog issue.

Code: Select all

- [fix]: New Reading Plan dialog: every time the dialog is displayed, the list with the Bibles (2nd page) is re-populated without being cleared before
    - [fix]: matching module IDs in links used to work even with no extension (e.g. tw://cmt.MY.cmt would match a commentary with the id MY - this broke in 1230 and now it is fixed again). Technically this is not really a bug, but it is a good feature to make the matching better.
    - [fix]: When the 'Find' dialog is displayed in Book view, the focus is set on the 'Find' text field.
    - [fix]: the 'Donate' dialog contain an error in the link to the 'donate' page at the site
Also there is a setting in Preferences -> Advanced -> Global section, Keep the focus on the current input box after pressing 'Enter' to execute command. Perhaps this setting is effecting the F4 input box.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Re: Problems with input boxes (fields)

Post by ErikJon »

Thank you, Jon. Nice observations. I will look into both issues.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.