Unable to install updated modules from "Add Titles"

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
JG

Re: Unable to install updated modules from "Add Titles"

Post by JG »

I suggest to also make theWord and the Add Titles, half screen width, so that you can see if any dialog box is actually appearing beneath that is waiting for user input.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I did a test with the AV disabled, no luck either. Maybe this is not the issue, after all new modules install OK. I captured theWord's registry reads/writes at the time of the freezing. It seems it created the index file and tried to read some configuration from Users folder.
If you think it could help, send me a debug binary that gives more feedback so we can to try and pinpoint the issue.
Capturar.PNG
Capturar.PNG (109.62 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

What theWord does is this:
- first it extracts the contents of the .exe file using the 7z unzip dll (without running the .exe)
- then, it copies the extracted files to the Books/Bibles folder
- then it extracts a copy of the twrestart.exe executable file that is stored as a binary resource in the main theword.exe file and saves this in the Cache folder
- then it starts the twrestart.exe as a new process, passing to it the process handle of the current process
- the twrestart.exe just waits until the current theword.exe finishes, then restarts it and finishes.

I have seen that the extraction of the twrestart.exe process is sometimes stopped (or hindered) by AV programs because it is seen as a threat (e.g. looks like a virus is trying to create a new .exe file on the filesystem).

So, i would like to know whether the 'freeze' occurs before or after the extraction step. Check pls:
1. That the module has been extracted
2. That the cache/twrestart.exe has been restarted
3. If a procress with name twrestart.exe exists

Costas
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

csterg wrote:I have seen that the extraction of the twrestart.exe process is sometimes stopped (or hindered) by AV programs because it is seen as a threat (e.g. looks like a virus is trying to create a new .exe file on the filesystem).

So, i would like to know whether the 'freeze' occurs before or after the extraction step. Check pls:
1. That the module has been extracted
2. That the cache/twrestart.exe has been restarted
3. If a procress with name twrestart.exe exists
I can check that when I get home but I'm almost certain I saw twrestart.exe in cache folder. Anyway, if the problem is in the extraction step, shouldn't it happen also when installing new modules? The restart works fine in this case.

From the capture I posted we can see it seems to have created the index file for the module. When does it take place and what step comes right after? Another info is that theword.exe keeps consuming CPU (stable around 15% of a CPU on my machine) so it must be in an infinite loop or something.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

RubioTerra wrote: From the capture I posted we can see it seems to have created the index file for the module. When does it take place and what step comes right after? Another info is that theword.exe keeps consuming CPU (stable around 15% of a CPU on my machine) so it must be in an infinite loop or something.
The .idx file is created when theWord is restarted, not during extraction.
One thing that comes to mind is this: some Bible modules have a pre-compiled .idx file within (by the way, you can use 7zip to look inside module installer, under the R9 folder you will see the files included). Is it that there is some file-lock in place that prevents the restart?

The thing is that tw seems to go in a loop or something, like waiting for something to happen. Can you see if it happens with specific modules? e.g. some that have (or don't have) the pre-compiled .idx file within?
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:
The thing is that tw seems to go in a loop or something, like waiting for something to happen. Can you see if it happens with specific modules? e.g. some that have (or don't have) the pre-compiled .idx file within?
Costas
As mentioned in a previous post, I have problems with King James Concordance, JFB, Mickelson. Don't know if that helps.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I deleted twrestart.exe and 7z.dll from cache folder and tried to install the WHNU update. Again, the download finished OK and theWord got stuck at the Install Modules dialog:
Captura 2 - Frozen dialog.PNG
Captura 2 - Frozen dialog.PNG (19.63 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
The module was downloaded to C:\Users\rubio_000\AppData\Local\Temp\20316854 and it opens fine in 7zip. 7z.dll was created at C:\ProgramData\The Word\Cache but no twrestart.exe.

I guess it freezes before theWord tries to extract twrestart.exe because I still would have to click the "Install selected modules..." button. Right?
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me make sure i get it:
so, the freeze occurs AFTER the module is downloaded and BEFORE you click the 'Install modules', correct? This is the moment that the 'Install Modules' dialog popups up after the download has finished, correct?
Costas

PS: i see that the whnu.nt line is there, which means that the dictionary of the 7z file was read (or else the entry would not appear there).
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

csterg wrote:Let me make sure i get it:
so, the freeze occurs AFTER the module is downloaded and BEFORE you click the 'Install modules', correct? This is the moment that the 'Install Modules' dialog popups up after the download has finished, correct?
Exactly. I installed a new module to compare the behavior and I understand theWord would at this point copy the module file to its final destination and show a popup asking if theWord should be restarted. I see it only extracts twrestart.exe after I choose to restart, so the extraction can't be the problem. Maybe theWord is locking when it tries to replace the module file on the Bible folder? I can confirm that the original module doesn't get overwritten.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I think I figured this out. The problem is my module was not located at the default module path (C:\Program Data\The Word\Bibles). Rather it was at an extra path I configured using the extra.paths entry at the config.ini. When I moved the module to the default path, it updated fine.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Can you check if theWord had write-access to this location?
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I'll check later, but it should. It is an ordinary folder on the same disk, "C:\theWord\Bibles" I think.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Got it. I will provide a fix for it asap.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I uploaded b1454 that should fix this error. PLEASE, try it out and let me know.
The bug occurs when trying to update an existing module that does not reside under the current 'Common Modules Folder'.

This is the case with modules in custom directories (e.g. extra.path), but also the case where a compact installation of theWord uses modules found under the c:\ProgramData\TheWord (this is an option under File->Preferences).

If all is OK, i will create a new official version since this is a serious bug,
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:I uploaded b1454 that should fix this error. PLEASE, try it out and let me know.
The bug occurs when trying to update an existing module that does not reside under the current 'Common Modules Folder'.

This is the case with modules in custom directories (e.g. extra.path), but also the case where a compact installation of theWord uses modules found under the c:\ProgramData\TheWord (this is an option under File->Preferences).

If all is OK, i will create a new official version since this is a serious bug,
Costas
Works with both the File > Install Modules and Add Titles button. Great work. Thanks.