Highlighter Problem

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
BouncerMcGee

Highlighter Problem

Post by BouncerMcGee »

Hi There ...
Not sure if the problem I am having is on my system or is a bug in the program.
I like the ability to highlight specific sections of the Bible in colour ... my problem is that when I highlight more than one verse, the highlight colour (Background or text) only shows on the first of the selected verses, not the whole selection. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to select each verse one at a time.

It would also be nice if I changed my mind regarding a selection to be highlighted that I could undo my last action using ctrl-Z.

My system is Windows 7 enterprise x64
I'm using the latest version of theWord and I'm using are the NIV2 and Message Bibles.

Regards
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Highlighter Problem

Post by csterg »

Hello,
this is a limitation of theWord, you cannot really highlight more than one verses.
Also, no undo support.
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Costas, have you ever considered a separate function of verse highlighting in the sense that the whole verse is marked and could be used as an overlay on any translation?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

What is the difference between highlighting a whole verse and creating a verse list? Or adding footnotes?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

To make my point a bit more clear:
it is true that the action of highlighting a whole verse can be re-applied to other translations easily. Yet, this action, of highlighting a whole verse, is like picking out that verse and putting it in some kind of contextual subject. For example, one could highlight John 3:16 with yellow trying to use a yellow marker for all verses that have to do with salvation or love.
Yet, if one wants to do something like that with whole verses, then he could use a verse list with such a subject (e.g. salvation), and just add John 3:16 there (or a book or a commentary).

So, what i am saying is that the action of highlighting a whole verse, in any way (like bold, underline, color change, etc), actually denotes a categorization that can be achieved with alternate means and actually adds no new function.

Does it make sense?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

From time to time we have seen this 'bug'. I just thought that it would be a good addition for those people that like to mark verses in that way, and see it in other translations. However I am with you on the alternatives that exist in theWord and perhaps don't get used as much.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Adding support for this corner case for highlighting is too much work :( - this is why i suggested the alternatives
patwwh

Post by patwwh »

Dear Costas,
This bug/limitation has existed from the very beginning. I can imagine and understand the programming you are using for TheWord may be an old language and give you many limitation. But why don't you simply use an iteration (looping) to solve it? Although this manner is ugly, but works and easy for you.