Spanish and French .LNG interface errors

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Spanish and French .LNG interface errors

Post by ErikJon »

I have been using the Spanish (ES) and French .lng files to change the interface and share TheWord with my Spanish-speaking and French-speaking friends.

In each case, upon installation I notice immediately that some of the interface was never translated to these languages. I hope it is not just a problem with my system.

Below is a list of oversights that I have noticed:

ERRORS FOUND IN SPANISH INTERFACE LANGUAGE MODULE

Preferences: advanced prefs tab:
"Only display additional translations when SHIFT is pressed" appears in English

From copy verses window:
"Custom sets" appears in English

Install new modules:
"download from URL..." button appears in English

"define module sets:
"apply" button appears in English

ERRORS FOUND IN FRENCH INTERFACE LANGUAGE MODULE

"install modules..." menu item from "file" menu appears in Spanish!

Prefs dialog box:
"Register CTRL+SHIFT+P global hotkey..." appears in English
Under the "advanced" tab "show help tips" appears in English
"only display additional translations when SHIFT is pressed" appears in English
"choose Bible" button appears in English

Bookview window right-click context menu:
(When in non-editable mode):
"select all" appears in English
"find" appears in English.
"copy" appears in English.
(When in editable mode):
MOST of this menu appears in English and ALL of the active SUBMENUS too!

Help menu:
"check updates on language files..." appears in English

Bibleview window options dialog box:
"Background image" button appears in English
"use thick underline for Bible view user highlighting" appears in English
possibly the "OK" button appears in English (I don't know if OK is used in French dialog boxes)

The "daily readings" menu item from the main toolbar, appears in Spanish.

Reading plan set-up window:
"Today's Reading" appears in Spanish, as well as the entire introductory heading.
The date format appears in English on my computer, but I don't know if that is linked automatically to my system settings.
"Reading plans for today" appears in English
"Show only..." at bottom of screen is in Spanish.
"Devotional readings for today" appears in English
The "close" button is in Spanish.
If I click on the "options" button in this window, ALL OF THE OPTIONS that appear in the next window are entirely in ENGLISH, including the buttons.

ERRORS FOUND IN BOTH INTERFACE LANGUAGE MODULES

The "add titles" button always appears in English.

Add titles:
"Loading module repositories information..." appears in English, and the entire download window also appears in English, as you may already know.

Incidentally, if you have any quick links to TheWord user-module resources in French, PLEASE post them somewhere on your website.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Spanish and French .LNG interface errors

Post by csterg »

Erik,
the language files correct is a delicate issue because it needs to be done properly on the lng files. These 2 files have not been updated for version 5. Do you have the time and resources to work on these?
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Well, I do not know any French, so that one is out of the question.

Regarding Spanish, I do. if you just gave me a simple table with the English on one side and the space for the Spanish equivalent on the other, I am sure that I could go through and simply correct the errors. If it is much more complicated than that, I may not be able to help, as I do not know programming. Let me know.

In the case of the French, couldn't you just re-send the file back to the person who translated it for you originally, and tell him, "Thanks for your help, but someone recently located a few oversights in your translation, which is understandable, as nobody is perfect. Would you mind correcting them and sending the file back to me?"

Incidentally, I see no reason to have one Spanish version for Spain and one for each other country, and much less for "International Spanish." The language does not vary much in formal situations, especially as in the interface of a program. Standard written Spanish of Spain is perfectly understandable by all educated Spanish-speaking Latin Americans, and vice versa, and there is essentially no difference in spelling. Since it is merely the simple interface for a straight-forward Bible-study program, I would just leave the one option of "Spanish (ES)" and discard any future plans for additional "translations" of this language, as you will be wasting your time.

In English, the only difference worth mentioning between British, Canadian, American, Australian, and other varieties of English, (in the context of a program interface) is the spellings. In Spanish the differences are even fewer.

Anyway, let me know.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

csterg wrote:Erik,
the language files correct is a delicate issue because it needs to be done properly on the lng files. These 2 files have not been updated for version 5. Do you have the time and resources to work on these?
Costas
The Spanish ES file has been updated for version 5. At least it was sent. I will check the reported problems as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Rubén Gómez
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thanks, Rubén.
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

Rubén Gómez wrote:
csterg wrote:Erik,
Costas
The Spanish ES file has been updated for version 5. At least it was sent. I will check the reported problems as soon as possible.

Thanks!
The only problem I found in version 5.0.0.1450 using the Spanish ES language file (langid=3082, version=5.0.0.1450-138) is "Define module sets: "Apply" button appears in English. Everything else is properly displayed.

Also, the "Apply" button has been translated, but it is not displayed correctly. Costas...?
Rubén Gómez
JG

Post by JG »

I don't see that there is an entry for that button in the lang file as no other lang displays in its own language. Clearly an oversight.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

JG wrote:I don't see that there is an entry for that button in the lang file as no other lang displays in its own language. Clearly an oversight.
Okay. Easy fix, then.

Thanks!
Rubén Gómez
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Spanish file latest version is 5.0.0.1450-138.
Ruben, can you send me an update please with the fix?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

The problem is... where is this field in the english.lng file?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Correct: fixed in b1457 (although for this fix, only the .lng file is required)
Costas

@Ruben: you can just send me an update of the .lng file
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

csterg wrote:Correct: fixed in b1457 (although for this fix, only the .lng file is required)
Costas

@Ruben: you can just send me an update of the .lng file
Done!
Rubén Gómez
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The new Spanish version is out
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thank you, Rubén and Costas, for your hard work.