Keyboard shortcut discrepancy

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Keyboard shortcut discrepancy

Post by ErikJon »

Hello, Costas, JG, and friends.

I continue to enjoy your program and discover new features every week. Thanks again.

Now, I may be crazy, but I think I discovered a typographical error in the "help file."

It appears that there is some confusion regarding the function of ALT+ARROW L/R, and regarding the function of the "backspace" key. The help file shows some contradictions. (See screenshot).
Attachments
TW contradiction.png
TW contradiction.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Keyboard shortcut discrepancy

Post by JG »

perhaps your help file is out of date?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I stand corrected.

I had assumed that I had the most recent manual, since I was using TW5. I must have downloaded the installer without the help file, or something like that.

In fact, when I go to install the help file alone, the installer allows me to choose the location, but if I click on the "The Word" folder, it still places the help file into a separate folder WITHIN this folder. Consequently, I still have my OLD help file at the root level, and the NEW help file, buried at a second level, in this second folder. Do you suppose that that, in itself, may possibly be an issue to be addressed?

Incidentally, after running the latest help-file installer, with TW closed, and then opening TW, my prefs were changed to "show commentary links after each verse," but without my permission. Is this just a bug on my computer?

In fact, this kind of behavior is very common in my case; namely, that after every week or so of daily use, I open the program only to find that one of my prefs has been modified.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I just reinstalled the latest version and didn't have my preferences changed. I wonder if it's possible, as it seems you like to use the keypad extensively, if sometimes you may hit keys accidentally and change a preference without realizing it. But if so, I don't know why you would only notice it after closing and opening the program, unless you do just before closing.

The reason I reinstalled the latest version of the manual is because I thought the one I had may be outdated. After downloading and installing it turned out to be the same version 4.0.1327. Would it be practical to make the manual so that it shows in the internal module downloader if there's a new version as with the Bible and book modules? I see now that I can go to the online manual and see the version is the same, but I don't see the version number elsewhere.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Well, I never use the keypad for anything, as I just use the numeric keys that are inline with the main part of the keyboard.

In fact, I don't hardly use keyboard shortcuts either, compared to most people, as far as I can tell. Out of all the 50+ shortcuts available for TheWord, I think I use about five or so, at the most; copy verses, history back/forward, next chapter, and CTRL+SHIFT+U for togling the user-module to allow or disallow changes. I don't use any shortcuts beyond those, as I usually prefer the mouse for everything.

The issue with prefs being modified suddenly has been going on for several versions 3-5, and on three different computers, some Vista, some XP. Costas seems to have fixed some of them, as it was a little worse previously. The main issue here was the help file.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

ErikJon wrote:.
Well, I never use the keypad for anything, as I just use the numeric keys that are inline with the main part of the keyboard.
Oh, sorry, I must have just assumed.

Still don't know how preferences would change, unless it's something like you have more than one instance open, or theWord closes unexpectedly without properly saving, or... (I'd probably better stop guessing given my lack of expertise. :) )
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, you are right that, when the program closes unexpectedly, some of my most recent settings are lost. In fact, some of my programs consider a normal shut-down sequence to be "unexpected," so any programs that are open during the sequence (and automatically closed with all open documents saved) sometimes cause my settings to be lost. OpenOffice considers it a crash, for example.

But in the typical case with TheWord, I lose a few settings--usually only one or two at a time, about once a week, with normal program closing, without even shutting down the computer.

I have also noticed that, when installing new modules, and allowing TheWord to close itself and restart itself, sometimes I lose one or two of the most recent settings, especially the Bibleview option of keeping all tabs open in a single row. I have not made any close observations about this, nor have I written down any notes, so I cannot share the specific details just yet.

Incidentally, I never use more than one instance of TW ever, and much less, simultaneously.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Erik,
i read what you say about settings, but it makes no sense for 'one or two settings' to get lost...
theWord saves all settings when it exits. If you kill it from the task manager, it will not save your last settings. There is no middle ground.

Concerning the 'auto restart' during module installation: I checked this function recently exactly for this problem but could not re-create.

It is impossible to track down a bug that is not reproducible. I know that many times something just 'doesn't work' and you cannot get in the trouble to troubleshoot (and it is annoying), but unfortunately there is no other way. Given the amount of code in theWord, it's usually impossible to get to the root of a problem with incidental failure reports.

Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I understand. I will try to take notes, in the meantime, to know exactly what happened each time, when the problem occurred.

Yes, you are probably right, as there is no middle ground, what has probably happened to me is that I lost "all" of the most recent two or three modifications that I had made to the layout, when these problems occur. I did not really mean to imply that all of my settings had been saved except for two or three, although it certainly might appear that way at a glance.

By the way, I should mention that phpBB does not always notify me when replies are posted, in spite of my settings in the preferences, and the check-box's being checked each time. It seems to miss about 20% of the time. I have checked my Yahoo spam folder, but that does not seem to be the issue.

No worries, just an observation to keep in mind.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

ErikJon wrote: By the way, I should mention that phpBB does not always notify me when replies are posted, in spite of my settings in the preferences, and the check-box's being checked each time. It seems to miss about 20% of the time. I have checked my Yahoo spam folder, but that does not seem to be the issue.
There were some issue with sending emails lately. Let me know if the problem persists.