Ignore case+diacritics in local "find" or "find & replace"

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Ignore case+diacritics in local "find" or "find & replace"

Post by ErikJon »

This would be regarded as a bug report, by some users, it is more correctly an observation that leads to a suggestion for improvement.

In the Spanish-speaking world, while the inclusion of diacritics with lower-case letters is considered essential by all. With capital letters is considered essential by some authorities (e.g., Larousse), but optional, by others (i.e., ascensión may be written as ASCENSIÓN or as ASCENSION.) Consequently, much of the module material that I come across includes both forms, even in the same work: with diacritics or without, depending on the use of majuscules, and sometimes as an oversight with the minuscules.

While working with a Spanish module, I had a topic entitled "VI. La Ascensión y Entronización de Jesucristo" but the chapter heading itself, in the body text, was "VI. LA ASCENSION Y ENTRONIZACION DE JESUCRISTO". (No diacritics--no accents over the O). When I did a search, TW was unable to find the text (the option of "match case" was also deselected). My only explanation was that the accented character (ó) was what hindered the search; TheWord could not find the text because there was no option to "ignore case and diacritics" in the search.

Of course, this option is available in Bible view search, but not in the local-search dialog boxes (including find-and-replace.) In fact, it is included in Book search view, but not in the local-search dialog boxes (including find-and-replace.)

My suggestion, and my request, is that all search operations offer the option of disregarding case and diacritics, perhaps in the form of a check-box pre-selected as the default. Otherwise, as most Spanish-speakers are not so acutely aware of this possibility of the same word being written in different ways within the same text, after searching, most of them will mistakenly conclude that the phrase that they are looking for is nowhere to be found.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Ignore case+diacritics in local "find" or "find & replac

Post by JG »

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Ignore case+diacritics in local "find" or "find & replac

Post by csterg »

Don't even know if this is doable to be honest, maybe it is. I will add it in my todo list