Dragging text to a bookview window does not make it active

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Dragging text to a bookview window does not make it active

Post by ErikJon »

When preparing new modules, I often drag text from one window to another. As soon as the transfer is made, I expect the text to be active, as it was the last window affected, and because the new text is still selected. As I go to format this new cluster of text, I am surprised to see that my formatting icons are not yet available at the top of the screen, so I cannot begin with my first formatting operation as I would like; the text is already "selected," so I would like to format it immediately, without having to find the beginning of the cluster and the end, and then re-select it. The issue is that this text is never "active" until I make another click inside the window, in which case I may lose my selection.

Anyway, it is obviously not a big deal, but it seems to be more intuitive for the window containing this new text to be active and ready for formatting operations, immediately after dragging text into it. It is analogous to removing a book from my closet and placing it on a desk for study, but not being allowed to open the book until I first go back and close my closet door, or else until I touch the desk a second time.

It is similar to opening up a "find" window, and having to select the leftover text in the field, before even typing. Why else would the user open the window unless he wanted to type something immediately there, to begin searching?

In short, I think that making the second bookview window active whenever dragging over text, would help productivity just a tiny bit.

Incidentally, I the same problem occurs when dragging topics from one topic tree to another; the user expects to begin moving the topic up or down with the arrow key immediately, and yet the topics remain in limbo until selected a second time.
. Moreover, he cannot even see the content of his topic without having to select the topic a second time from the second window. It seems counter-intuitive.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Dragging text to a bookview window does not make it acti

Post by JG »

ErikJon wrote:.
When preparing new modules, I often drag text from one window to another. As soon as the transfer is made, I expect the text to be active, as it was the last window affected, and because the new text is still selected. As I go to format this new cluster of text, I am surprised to see that my formatting icons are not yet available at the top of the screen, so I cannot begin with my first formatting operation as I would like; the text is already "selected," so I would like to format it immediately, without having to find the beginning of the cluster and the end, and then re-select it. The issue is that this text is never "active" until I make another click inside the window, in which case I may lose my selection.
Simply click the window title and it will make that window active without loosing the selection.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Dragging text to a bookview window does not make it acti

Post by csterg »

I will see if i can fix this.