Chinese CUV/C version completely wrong

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
KevNel

Chinese CUV/C version completely wrong

Post by KevNel »

I don't know what is happening here, but that most definitely is not the Chinese Union Version. I had to use another program to access the correct text. I was working with 2 Timothy.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Chinese CUV/C version completely wrong

Post by csterg »

Hello and welcome,
since I cannot personally read Chinese, i would need you to be more specific. Other Chinese speaking people would need to get in and help. Can you give 1 or 2 verse where the text is wrong and what the proper text should be?
Thank you
Costas
KevNel

Post by KevNel »

2 Timothy 2:16-17 ESV + ?
15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved,14 a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.
15 宜慇勤獻己於上帝、蒙其嘉納、為無愧之傭、善布真道、
16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,
16 惟遠不經之虛談、因若人將益進於不虔、

The pinyin CUV version is correct: 2 Timothy 2:16-17
15 Nǐ dāng jiélì, zaì shén miànqián dé méng xǐyuè, zuò wú kuì de gōngrén, àn zhe zhèng yì fēn jiĕ zhēnlǐ de dào.
16 Dàn yào yuǎn bì shìsú de xū tán. yīnwei zhè dĕng rén bì jìn dào gèng bú jìng qián de dìbù.

Correct: 2 Timothy 2:16-17 CUV/S
2Ti 2:15 你 当 竭 力 在 神 面 前 得 蒙 喜 悦 , 作 无 愧 的 工 人 , 按 着 正 意 分 解 真 理 的 道 。
2Ti 2:16 但 要 远 避 世 俗 的 虚 谈 , 因 为 这 等 人 必 进 到 更 不 敬 虔 的 地 步 。

John 1:1-2 ESV + ?
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1 元始有道、道偕上帝、道即上帝也、
2 He was in the beginning with God.
2 是道元始與上帝偕也、
3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
3 萬有由之而造、凡受造者、無不由之而造焉、
4 In him was life,19 and the life was the light of men.
4 生在其中、生者人之光也、
5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
5 光燭於暗、而暗弗識之、

Pinyin is correct:
The divinity, humanity, office, and incarnation of Jesus Christ
1 Taì chū yǒu dào, dào yǔ shén tóng zaì, dào jiù shì shén.
2 Zhè dào taì chū yǔ shén tóng zaì.
3 Wànwù shì jiè zhe tā zào de. fán beì zào de, méiyǒu yíyàng bú shì jiè zhe tā zào de.
4 shēngmìng zaì tā lǐtou. zhè shēngmìng jiù shì rén de guāng.
5 Guāng zhào zaì hēiàn lǐ, hēiàn què bù jiē shòu guāng.

Correct CUV/S
Joh 1:1 ¶ 太 初 有 道 , 道 与 神 同 在 , 道 就 是 神 。
Joh 1:2 这 道 太 初 与 神 同 在 。
Joh 1:3 万 物 是 藉 着 他 造 的 ; 凡 被 造 的 , 没 有 一 样 不 是 藉 着 他 造 的 。
Joh 1:4 生 命 在 他 里 头 , 这 生 命 就 是 人 的 光 。
Joh 1:5 ¶ 光 照 在 黑 暗 里 , 黑 暗 却 不 接 受 光 。
keyuhui

Post by keyuhui »

The CUV/C is the Union Version, but it's not the 官话 guanhua (Mandarin) Union Version. It's is the 深文理 shenwenli (Literary Chinese) Union Version. Both were produced simultaneously from 1890 to 1919 by two different committees who were collaborating to produce a single version in two different styles of Chinese (colloquial and literary). Actually there was a third version in 浅文理 Easy Wenli (lower literary Chinese), but this version was never completed.

The Literary Version was published and in circulation for several years before being cast aside in favor of the Mandarin edition.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.