A couple things regarding the Bible Search View

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
NoBloodNoPardon

A couple things regarding the Bible Search View

Post by NoBloodNoPardon »

Hello there.

Before I say anything else, I'd like to thank the Author of this most excellent program. I've been using it for several months now, and found no flaw such as would drive me even an inch from it, which was not the case for a multitude of like-purposed software I tried in the past; TheWord is rock-solid, very well designed and exceptionally customizable, having enriched/simplified my studying of the Bible quite radically. Therefore, may the Lord pour out his blessings upon you that your hard work be abundantly rewarded.

Now a few minor (if not just merely cosmetic) problems I've encountered along the way:

. The columns in the Bible Search View lose their custom widths upon closing. It would be nice if it could retain them, or better yet, if there was an option that would automatically set the width of the columns according to the totality of characters taken by the results so that neither numbers nor names (including the very column's name) show "..." whatsoever. Let it all be visible but without wasting space.

. Hovering the the cursor over verses on the Bible Tree automatically triggers the displaying of the verse itself in a floating message box. I personally have no use for such a thing and it can sometimes get annoying, yet the problem is not this but the fact that the aforementioned behavior doesn't seem to be optional.

Also 2 suggestions and a question:

. Even though I understand that the focus of TheWord isn't text mining, it would be very handy to alternatively have search statistics based on the number of words, as opposed to exclusively the number of verses containing the words.

. A new copy option that copies only the Book/Chapter/Verse as opposed to it's contents. E.g. "Romans 10:9-10" (without the "") and nothing else.

. Whenever I'm quoting verses, I generally format them as follows:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9-10)

Yet I can't seem to figure out how to make the Verse Copy Management tool save a custom copying scheme that sticks two verses together like that while also including the appropriate Book/Chapter/Verse tag.

Any ideas?

Tested on 32-Bit Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.

Thank you very much for your time and sorry for the inconveniences.
JG

Re: A couple things regarding the Bible Search View

Post by JG »

NoBloodNoPardon wrote:Hello there.

Now a few minor (if not just merely cosmetic) problems I've encountered along the way:

. The columns in the Bible Search View lose their custom widths upon closing. It would be nice if it could retain them, or better yet, if there was an option that would automatically set the width of the columns according to the totality of characters taken by the results so that neither numbers nor names (including the very column's name) show "..." whatsoever. Let it all be visible but without wasting space.
There is no way to save the settings for this.
NoBloodNoPardon wrote: . Hovering the the cursor over verses on the Bible Tree automatically triggers the displaying of the verse itself in a floating message box. I personally have no use for such a thing and it can sometimes get annoying, yet the problem is not this but the fact that the aforementioned behavior doesn't seem to be optional.
True, there isn't an option to turn them off..
NoBloodNoPardon wrote: Also 2 suggestions and a question:

. Even though I understand that the focus of TheWord isn't text mining, it would be very handy to alternatively have search statistics based on the number of words, as opposed to exclusively the number of verses containing the words.
It is on the "to do" list. There are other programs that cover this specific feature such as Bible Analyzer, or Interlinear Scripture Analyzer.
NoBloodNoPardon wrote: . A new copy option that copies only the Book/Chapter/Verse as opposed to it's contents. E.g. "Romans 10:9-10" (without the "") and nothing else.
There is setting in Advanced options (lower right of the Verse Copy Management)
NoBloodNoPardon wrote: . Whenever I'm quoting verses, I generally format them as follows:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9-10)
Yet I can't seem to figure out how to make the Verse Copy Management tool save a custom copying scheme that sticks two verses together like that while also including the appropriate Book/Chapter/Verse tag.
As long as you don't need quotes around the verses it is possible. You would need to select the predefined format of 7. and Step 3 footer placeholders " (%t %r)%n " You could just use the dialog to copy the verses and the footer. But if you want the same format from the Bible view itself you would need to add a piece of info to the config.ini file

Code: Select all

dbv.add.footer.when.copying.single.verse=1
Instructions are in the help file http://www.theword.net/manual/working_d ... e_conf.htm
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
NoBloodNoPardon

JG wrote:There is setting in Advanced options (lower right of the Verse Copy Management)
Thank you, but maybe I should have explained myself better. I can do quite a bit within the VCM, but the idea was to have this immediately available as a fixed option from the right-click menu, in addition to regular copy functionality that copies the whole of the verse. This would be handy for quickly referencing verses to people in chatrooms.
JG wrote:As long as you don't need quotes around the verses it is possible
Hmm, I think that's the problem; I do need the quotes.

In any event, thanks a lot for having taken the time to reply to my post.
JG

Post by JG »

There is another feature that can copy a single verse reference with or without the book name.
Simply move to the verse you want and left click the verse reference that is shown at the bottom right of the program. Hover the mouse pointer there for a tip.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hovering the the cursor over verses on the Bible Tree automatically triggers the displaying of the verse itself in a floating message box. I personally have no use for such a thing and it can sometimes get annoying, yet the problem is not this but the fact that the aforementioned behavior doesn't seem to be optional.
Another option is to right-click on the chapter node and you get a popup with the verse numbers: so you can get immediately to the verse number you want and not get a popup with the actual verse text like that
NoBloodNoPardon

Sorry about the delay.

@JG: Thank you! that's exactly what I needed. What I normally did was "shift+left click" that very same spot, triggering a popup message with the book/chapter/verse info at the top, which I then proceeded to select and ctrl+c. All in all it seems to me I've been possessed by a dumb spirit...

@csterg: Thank you! Very powerful tip. It makes it all a great deal faster to browse the tree, and no popups 8)