Utley @ Matt 13:36-43 - wrong cross ref ?

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
kenfhill84083

Utley @ Matt 13:36-43 - wrong cross ref ?

Post by kenfhill84083 »

In Utley's commentary @ Matt 13.36-43 - specifically RE verse 13.41 --
13:41 This is a partial quote from Zechariah 1:3.
It seems to me this should be Zeph 1:3. That is the cross reference for Matt 13.41 found in Logos resource: Old Testament Quotations and Allusions in the New Testament.

Matt 13.41 reads: and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Zechariah 1:3 (NASB) : “Therefore say to them, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Return to Me,” declares the LORD of hosts, “that I may return to you,” says the LORD of hosts.

Zephaniah 1:3 (NASB) “I will remove man and beast; I will remove the birds of the sky And the fish of the sea, And the ruins along with the wicked; And I will cut off man from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD.
NorrinRadd

Re: Utley @ Matt 13:36-43 - wrong cross ref ?

Post by NorrinRadd »

kenfhill84083 wrote:In Utley's commentary @ Matt 13.36-43 - specifically RE verse 13.41 --
13:41 This is a partial quote from Zechariah 1:3.
It seems to me this should be Zeph 1:3. That is the cross reference for Matt 13.41 found in Logos resource: Old Testament Quotations and Allusions in the New Testament.

Matt 13.41 reads: and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Zechariah 1:3 (NASB) : “Therefore say to them, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Return to Me,” declares the LORD of hosts, “that I may return to you,” says the LORD of hosts.

Zephaniah 1:3 (NASB) “I will remove man and beast; I will remove the birds of the sky And the fish of the sea, And the ruins along with the wicked; And I will cut off man from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD.
Honestly, neither one looks at all close, and I have yet to find any source that sees that as an allusion to *any* OT passage.
engellion

Re: Utley @ Matt 13:36-43 - wrong cross ref ?

Post by engellion »

I agree that it should be Zephaniah 1:3.

Matthew 13:41 is speaking about the final judgment of the wicked. Zephaniah 1 refers to the day of the LORD when he shall punish the inhabitants of the earth for their wickedness. (see v7-8). Verse 3 refers to it as a time when God will "consume (terminate) man and beast...from off the land."

So, IMO, it should be corrected as per OP.

Blessings,
Paul.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software