Inconsistent font behavior in bookview

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Inconsistent font behavior in bookview

Post by ErikJon »

FIRST OBSERVATION: TW does not consistently apply user font preferences to all user book modules regardless of whether they are in "editable" mode or in "uneditable" mode.

I have noticed that many modules do not cooperate with my font preferences, regardless of whether the modules are in editable mode or uneditable mode, and regardless of which fonts I select in my preferences. I have used Bookman Old Style, Segoe UI, Cambria, and BellGothic BT, and have noticed the same behavior in every case, which I will describe below.

For example, I have a module called "A Biblical Examination of Hell" by Younce. This module seems to have been created with Tahoma throughout (or at least it displays with such), and was uploaded to Josh Bond's website without any editing protection, so I can modify it as I like. That is fine. Nevertheless, regardless of whether the module is in protected or unprotected mode (i.e., "uneditable" or "editable" mode), I can never get it to display using my own preferred fonts, regardless of which fonts I choose (e.g., Bookman, Cambria, SegoeUI, BellGothic, etc.). What is going on?

On the other hand, when I use the well-known Guzik commentary from your website, my font preferences are respected and applied in any mode: editable and uneditable; the module is always displayed with my preferred font, whichever I happen to choose. This seems to be correct behavior by design. In approximately 80% of the modules that I use, the font preferences apply correctly as expected, and in 20%, they never apply my preferred fonts.

My first question is this: why cannot TW override these uncooperative modules, to display them all using my preferred fonts?

SECOND OBSERVATION: TW does not seem to apply any user font preferences while a book module is in "edit" mode, including those modules that ordinarily display correctly in "uneditable" mode.

Along the same lines as in the first observation, I have another problem. When I create a user module or edit one while in "editable mode," and type in my own comments on each verse, the comments always appear in Tahoma. I don't like Tahoma, personally, but that is my own personal opinion, of course. Anyway, I want to substitute another, more legible font to use whenever in "edit" mode. In my case I rather like BellGothic BT. Now, If I put the commentary module into "uneditable" mode, the module displays well with BellGothic BT, but, of course, I cannot edit the module in this mode. My question is: what must I do to use my own font preferences while editing user modules? If your answer is "Nothing. I have TW set to force the user to use Tahoma in this situation," then my suggestion is that you allow more flexibility in the next version, as each user has his own font preferences for writing and editing, not only for reading.

Why are we allowed to choose a "default book view font" in the preferences, if our choice is, in fact, ignored when a module is in "edit mode"?

Perhaps you were thinking that it would be nice for the user to have a quick visual reminder that he was in "non-editable" mode, by having the font suddenly change to another? If so, that is a good and valid idea. But, even so, please let the user decide which font to use for that, as some are more legible to us than others.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Jeff

Re: Inconsistent font behavior in bookview

Post by Jeff »

On Younce's module, for example, what do you have selected under Module Properties>Settings/Actions>"content viewer/editor fonts"?

I don't know if there's anyway to apply the same setting to all modules universally.

However, it makes sense to me that editable modules will display in the way they were formatted to begin with, and will display the fonts they are being edited with, so you can see the effects of your editing.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, that's a good point. Thanks. In the Younce module, that entire "Content" section is grayed out, and cannot be modified, although the module itself is said to be "User module (can be edited)"

How does a section like that get grayed out anyway?
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It gets grayed out when it's in user editable mode. Only in non-user mode can you opt to use fonts other than what's defined in the module.
Jeff

ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

O.K. I see now.

And I understand the deilemma, that some module creators insist on using a certain font throughout, for whatever reason, while we users may prefer to read their material using a more legible font.

I guess i have misunderstood the purpose of "Default Bookview Font" in the preferences. I still don't quite understand what it means, unless it is simply to apply the preferred font only when no other font has been specified by the module creator?

How does a module creator succeed in "locking in" his preferred font for the module, in such a way that even in editiable mode the module could never be read with any font except the one originally selected?

Is there any problem with allowing the user to choose his own display font to override whatever the module may have included originally? (Other than Greek and Hebrew issues). I thought maybe that the preferred font only applied to the standard reading text alone anyway.

As I understand it, if some goofy person decides to use a wild flowery cursive font for the entire text of his new module, we users may have no choice but to read it that way?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

When you deselect the user module option so that it is not editable, and then opt to have it use your default font, and leave it as a non-user module, isn't it using the default font?

It is for me, but I may be using a different version of Younce's book, mine says it was created by David Cox 2008.
Jeff

ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Hi, Jeff.

No, mine is not using my preference font in either mode--editable or uneditable. About 20% of my modules have that problem.

My module is also from 2008, but was made by wordmodules.com, with no mention of Rev. David Cox in any part of the module. I will upload it here, but keep in mind that this is merely one example of about 200 modules that I have encountered that do not cooperate with my preference font in either mode.
Attachments
Younce - Biblical Examination of Hell.gbk.twm.zip
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 305 times
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I downloaded and installed the module you provided, it was a different version. But I still wasn't able to repeat your problem, it worked when I took it out of editable mode and had it use the default font. I even tried changing my default font to the ones you mentioned; Bookman Old Style, Segoe UI, Cambria; and they all worked, except I don't seem to have BellGothic BT.

One thing I noticed, when I change the default book font in preferences, the font in the modules loaded on the bookviews don't change immediately, but I had to reload the view, switch to another book or topic and switch back, or something, before the change took effect. I assume that's normal, I just don't change my default fonts often enough to know.

Sorry I can't help but I'm out of ideas. My next idea would have been to use the other actions to change module content to rtf or something, but it works for me in rvf, and I would have been grasping at straws.
Jeff

ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thanks for trying, Jeff.

Yes, very good point about immediate font changes. Fortunately I was aware of that one, in my case. I always click on a different topic, and then click back to the original topic, after making any font change, to see how it is applied, and that always works, except in those uncooperative modules that I mentioned.

By the way, I think wordmodules.com is indeed Mr. Cox's website, but I did not see his name on the module itself, but this must be a different version.
JG

Post by JG »

Could you upload this particular module to a shared OneDrive, or other file sharing service and provide me a link?
Thanks.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Sorry, Jon. I opened a OneDrive account, but the site would not let me upload anything. Jeff was able to download my ZIP file posted on the forum. Could you not download it?
JG

Post by JG »

I tried the module and it worked fine for me on Windows 10 and Vista.

In the preferences -> fonts, I changed the setting for the default bookview font to Seabird heavy, and it was heavy, no mistake there.
Also I checked the module prefs that when module is set to non-user(cannot be edited), that the font default was set to use default bookview font(the one that is set in the main prefs)
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Ouch. Do you mean to say that it showed in Seabird Bold in user mode as well as in non user mode? If so, that would seem to confirm that the problem lies elsewhere. Did you use the portable Vista version of the program to test it? (which is what I use )
JG

Post by JG »

No the font only showed in non user mode. In User mode it has to show in the font defined in the module.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Uh.. O. K. Well, I hate to be so ignorant but that is precisely what I was trying to say all along. I wanted to know how to keep my preferred font applied in non user mode as well as in user mode. But you are telling me that this is not an option to begin with; rather only for non user mode.

I should have used the more correct expression "user mode" instead of "editable mode" to begin with.

I am curious to know why the module must use the creator's font when in user mode instead of using the user's font. I think my main suggestion in this post was that you make make TW use the user's preferred font for both modes, so that he can read and edit at the same time using whatever font he feels is more legible for his own needs. I personally find myself switching back and forth so often for this reason that I finally decided to share my feedback and ask for a change.