Some standard Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
JimH44

Some standard Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work

Post by JimH44 »

I love TheWord, and I have provided it for a Papua New Guinean colleague. I am also training him in using a Windows computer, including the standard ways of opening and modifying the display settings of programs. I'm teaching keyboard shortcuts, because in this hot climate and with sweaty fingers, the track pad doesn't drive the mouse pointer very well, and sometimes a track pad or mouse will die and it can be weeks till it can be fixed in some remote places.

So, for example, I teach Alt-space to open the control menu of the program, then x to maXimise, R to restore and N to minimise. But I find that TheWord is very unusual amongst Windows programs, in that it doesn't respond to Alt-space.

In Windows 10 we sometimes need to see shortcuts on the desktop. To get this, we can normally hold down the Windows logo key and tap M to Minimize all windows, but that doesn't work if theWord is in focus. (I have found, however, that Windows-D for Desktop does work, so I'll teach that.)

Do any of you know why Alt-space doesn't open the Control menu, or if there is a way to put in a bug report or feature request about that?

Thanks, Jim
JG

Re: Some standard Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work

Post by JG »

Welcome to theWord forum.

The shortcuts you mention work fine for me on Windows 10.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Jim,
go to menu View->Skin and un-check the 'Use Skinned window border'
Costas
JimH44

Post by JimH44 »

Thanks, Costas, that worked perfectly. Just what I needed.
And a very quick response too. :-)
Jim
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Well, Jon is much faster than me in here, I am the one that's always late :)
JG

Post by JG »

I was the one that forgot that 'skinned border' setting has been 'removed', but only from the beta builds.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet