CTRL+click causing conflicts

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

CTRL+click causing conflicts

Post by ErikJon »

When moving multiple topics to different locations, within the bookview topic tree, one must CTRL+click each one, to do so. However, as you know, this keyboard combination also coincidentally causes a giant pop-up window to appear and completely obstruct my view from seeing the other topics that need to be clicked, and from seeing the scroll bar that I need to see topics below those. Some windows are larger than others, depending on the topic content, I suppose, but this is a big nuisance.

(I mentioned this before as it related to the cross references, I think; that when CTRL+clicking cross references in order to open the referenced Bible verse in a separate Bibleview window, I was also confronted with a pop-up window containing the same verse, and obstructing my view temporarily, from seeing the other references.)

Suggestions:

1. As I rarely ever use pop-up windows myself, I would like to have the option of disabling all of them globally, while enabling them on the fly with the CTL option. This is almost how TW behaves currently. When I accidentally hover over a Bible verse in a bookview window, I don't think there is yet any way to disable the pop-up window in that scenario, although I wish there were, as it often obstructs my view from reading the text itself; as a result, I must use my cursor to scroll, but then I must move it away again, to prevent the pop-up windows from appearing, and go back and forth, each time.

2. Of course, the option of using the CTRL combination to enable them temporarily is an ideal option, but it creates this conflict mentioned above. Consequently, one solution may be to re-define where the pop-up windows appear globally, if that is possible. For example, instead of having it appear just a few pixels to the right of the cursor, they could appear a few pixels from the edge of the bookview window, without ever obstructing the view of the scroll bars.

3. Another option that could be combined with the one just mentioned, is that window size be re-defined to appear as much smaller and more narrow by default, and less obtrusive in general, with the type size automatically set to 10pt by default (but still adjustable by the user, as it currently is).

4. Another possible solution is to allow a different keystroke combination for making multiple selections of anything without invoking the pop-up-windows. (e.g., CTRL+SHIFT+click for multiple selections with the pop-up windows disabled temporarily, and CTRL+ALT+click ) for opening cross references in a separate Bibleview window without simultaneously producing a pop-up window.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: CTRL+click causing conflicts

Post by JG »

The solution is really simple. Keep your pointer in the gutter when doing this, that is one reason it is there.
0003 Jon theWord_2017-01-30_163931.png
0003 Jon theWord_2017-01-30_163931.png (293.59 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Re: CTRL+click causing conflicts

Post by ErikJon »

Gutter? Where did that gutter come from? I like that. Apparently I can click in the gutter, too. Thanks for the simple solution.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.